Installing LV RT 8.5.1 (PharLab) under VMware?

Götz Becker

QUOTE (Götz Becker @ Aug 14 2008, 12:44 PM)

There are very few functions that are RT-only. Even these usually have a non-RT equivalent, so there is not much to try out.

QUOTE (Götz Becker @ Aug 14 2008, 12:44 PM)

or communication to a host app.

You could always write code that is supposed to run on RT and then run it on Windows (or other). RT is a subset of Windows capabilities.

The only areas where this wouldn't work out perfectly is if you want to check out speed. Execution time on RT may be more "deterministic" or the Symmetric Multiprocessing might work out better on that platform. Another area is if there are bugs on one platform that are not on the other.

As to whether you can do what you want with VMware etc, I don't think so. Easiest bet is to buy a LV-RT runtime licence, get a cheap PC that conforms to the requirements for LV-RT, load it on and treat that as your RT target. But like I said, your better off testing functionality in a non-Rt platform.

Neville.

QUOTE (Neville D @ Aug 15 2008, 05:40 AM)

You could always write code that is supposed to run on RT and then run it on Windows (or other). RT is a subset of Windows capabilities.

This is a good point.

I guess when you deploy to RT you are looking to debug anything problems with the build running headless versus the dev environment.

And anything specifc to RT is probably related to hardware (e.g. cFP - dipswitches, lights, IO) and so unless you mimic your hardware there is probably not much point and you are better coding in Windows.

Still a cool idea tho....