Large Hadron Rap

Tomi Maila

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Aug 14 2008, 08:22 PM)

And ... on a lighter note ... some physicists are concerned about the possiblity of the CERN creating, among other exotic things, a mini black hole that could escape, orbit through the earth and gradually swallow us up in a matter of days … :blink:

Luckily all educated physicists have read their Wheeler and know that small black holes would radiate so much hawking radiation that they would 'evaporate' or explode instantly. Actually I don't think an explosion of a mini black hole would look so much different from what ever happens in a proton collision anyway.

The Earth and Moon are constantly hit by even more energetic particles (cosmic rays) every day and we haven't witness adverse effect yet *crosses fingers*

Not that I believe that crossing fingers brings good luck but I have heard that it does whether you believe it or not...

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Aug 14 2008, 12:22 PM)

A lot is a relative term in this case as the LHC includes a mind boggling number of control systems. Regardless, this is a pretty cool motion control application using 120 PXI systems distributed around the 27 km ring controlling 600 motion axes to 1ms synchronization during a 20 minute profile. All of the PXI RT systems integrate into the higher level facility control system running non-LV applications. This application was developed with a lot of direct input and support from the Systems Engineering group at NI. The CERN developer just left NI this afternoon to get ready for the startup of the LHC.

A few trivia facts:

• The design of the LHC started 27 years ago.
  • Colling of the magnets started more than 18 months ago. The final temperature of the magnets will be below 2K.