Microprocessor SDK

Val Brown

I'd like to hear from any LAVA members who have experience in using the Microprocessor SDK. In particular I'm looking to find out their experience re: porting code to different platforms and, in particular, any difficulties or challenges that have occurred that would support NOT using NI's SDK but going another path.

My current deployed app is windows-based but that's only because it uses functions in the Advanced Signal Processing Toolkit and, at present, that only runs in the Windows environment. So, I'm specifically wondering if anyone has tried to generate C code using this SDK to deploy LV code using functions from the Advanced Signal Processing Tooklkit.

• 4 weeks later...

QUOTE (Val Brown @ Aug 14 2008, 03:27 PM)

I'd like to hear from any LAVA members who have experience in using the Microprocessor SDK. In particular I'm looking to find out their experience re: porting code to different platforms and, in particular, any difficulties or challenges that have occurred that would support NOT using NI's SDK but going another path.

My current deployed app is windows-based but that's only because it uses functions in the Advanced Signal Processing Toolkit and, at present, that only runs in the Windows environment. So, I'm specifically wondering if anyone has tried to generate C code using this SDK to deploy LV code using functions from the Advanced Signal Processing Tooklkit.

I have only played with the LabVIEW Embedded Version in LabVIEW 7.1 the predecessor to the Microprocessor SDK. There seems to have been quite some changes incorporated since but doesn't the Advanced Signal Processing Toolkit contain specific VIs that call out to some DLL. If that is the case I do not see how you could port that DLL to your target CPU at all without the DLL source code and I think you won't be able to get that from NI. :rolleyes:

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (rolfk @ Sep 9 2008, 11:51 PM)

I have only played with the LabVIEW Embedded Version in LabVIEW 7.1 the predecessor to the Microprocessor SDK. There seems to have been quite some changes incorporated since but doesn't the Advanced Signal Processing Toolkit contain specific VIs that call out to some DLL. If that is the case I do not see how you could port that DLL to your target CPU at all without the DLL source code and I think you won't be able to get that from NI. :rolleyes:

Rolf Kalbermatter

Yes, I think that will be a problem now but I'm hoping that NI gets the message to port the toolkits to Max, Linux, etc. There's really no technological reason to not do it. It's a business decision. My guess is that, at this point, I'll be taking a different tack -- using Embedded XP -- and waiting to see what choice NI makes about the ports.

QUOTE (Val Brown @ Sep 10 2008, 05:18 AM)

Yes, I think that will be a problem now but I'm hoping that NI gets the message to port the toolkits to Max, Linux, etc. There's really no technological reason to not do it. It's a business decision. My guess is that, at this point, I'll be taking a different tack -- using Embedded XP -- and waiting to see what choice NI makes about the ports.

But in the case of dll based Toolkits porting them to their RT platforms or to Mac and Linux won't help you a single yota to use them on your custem uP system that you target with the Embedded uP SDK. Those DLLs need to be compiled and limnked into a shared library for the specific target with the toolchain for that target and possible with additional libraries needing to be ported for extra runtime support if those libraries use more than just the C runtime library. Without source code you simply can't do that.

Rolf Kalbermatter