Migration from 8.2.1 to 8.6 with NI Labs (VIA) Tool

I'm going through a first pass of upgrading our applications to 8.6 using the NI Labs VIA tool. So far, so good but I'd like to dump the current "Error List" LabVIEW 8.6 is complaining about. Does anyone know if this list can be dumped to file via the clipboard? The dialog is not consistent with the the LabVIEW "Find" dialog, thats allows content to be cut and pasted.

-Chroma

QUOTE (rayodyne @ Aug 17 2008, 04:17 PM)

I'm going through a first pass of upgrading our applications to 8.6 using the NI Labs VIA tool. So far, so good but I'd like to dump the current "Error List" LabVIEW 8.6 is complaining about. Does anyone know if this list can be dumped to file via the clipboard? The dialog is not consistent with the the LabVIEW "Find" dialog, thats allows content to be cut and pasted.

What "Error List" are you talking about? Can you attach a screenshot?

-D

QUOTE (rayodyne @ Aug 18 2008, 12:42 PM)

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, there is currently no way to export the Error List contents. It does seem like a useful suggestion, though...I recommend you submit this idea to the http://digital.ni.com/applications/psc.nsf/default?OpenForm' target="_blank">Product Suggestion Center.

-D

P.S. - I'm also curious about the broken VIs...were they unbroken in 8.5, but broken in 8.6? What specifically is wrong on their diagrams? Are there toolkits you have installed in 8.5 that you don't have installed in 8.6?

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 18 2008, 02:14 PM)

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, there is currently no way to export the Error List contents. It does seem like a useful suggestion, though...I recommend you submit this idea to the http://digital.ni.com/applications/psc.nsf/default?OpenForm' target="_blank">Product Suggestion Center.

-D

P.S. - I'm also curious about the broken VIs...were they unbroken in 8.5, but broken in 8.6? What specifically is wrong on their diagrams? Are there toolkits you have installed in 8.5 that you don't have installed in 8.6?

I deleted some wires in the Temp Sys Demo (8.2.1) top level and some sub-VIs, that's all.

-Chroma

Ya, I guess exporting to a text file or clipboard may be useful to somebody. Can you explain the usefulness of this list outside of LabVIEW? The whole idea of this list is to double-click the highlighted error item and it automatically takes you to the location with the problem.

Other than some corporate documentation policy, I don't see what other use it may have.

Well the situation that we just had recently was in an executable that had issues w/ missing VIs for plugins that were not distributed w/ the EXE.

W/ out the text from the error window, it's extremely tricky to try to determine what's missing(legally that is).

Also if you were working in a framework environment that other ppl used your code and there was a problem due to dynamic loading in general, it would be nice to send out the text of the error to yourself so you don't need some non programmer trying to figure out what this all means.

That's about all I got for now. Not solid but viable

QUOTE (Norm Kirchner @ Aug 18 2008, 06:47 PM)

For code used by our customers, I always incorporate a VI at the end that silently writes the error, date, time, and the error message to a file in an automatic folder C:\Errors.

post-2680-1219157834.jpg?width=400

Since I work with Vision, I also save the offending image with an error#-date-time file name. For some reason Vision VI's are not very good at displaying their call-chain, so I usually add a chain showing which Vi, and state in the state-machine the error occurred.

I also add the ability to log individual states in every state-machine to debug problems but I have never needed to use this at a customer install.

post-2680-1219158126.jpg?width=400

Neville