TortoiseSVN

QUOTE (NeverDown @ Aug 18 2008, 10:09 AM)

After editing my conflicts, I cannot set my file to resolved using Tortoise SVN. I get the following error:

An unknown error occurred while accessing C:\Development\TestRepository\RandomNumberDisplay.vi.

How are you doing the resolve? You are just editing the VI? I haven't noticed any problems.

You can also manually resolve conflicts. Usually when a VI conflict happens, you will get 3 files instead of one:

MyFile.vi

MyFile.vi.r1234

MyFile.vi.r1200

If you just delete the second 2 files, Tortoise will think you have resolved the conflict. If that doesn't work either, then you may have more serious problems with your working copy.

QUOTE (jdunham @ Aug 18 2008, 06:41 PM)

How are you doing the resolve? You are just editing the VI? I haven't noticed any problems.

You can also manually resolve conflicts. Usually when a VI conflict happens, you will get 3 files instead of one:

MyFile.vi

MyFile.vi.r1234

MyFile.vi.r1200

If you just delete the second 2 files, Tortoise will think you have resolved the conflict. If that doesn't work either, then you may have more serious problems with your working copy.

I actually found a workaround, I deleted the files ‘test.vi.r2′ and ‘test.vi.r3′ after merging. The menu entry "Conflict resolved" isn't available any more, but I can do a normal SVN commit and it seems OK. We'll see. I get tired of doing manual stuff with tools. Maybe I'm just spoiled using LV. :-)

Thank you.

QUOTE (NeverDown @ Aug 19 2008, 07:44 AM)

I actually found a workaround, I deleted the files 'test.vi.r2′ and 'test.vi.r3′ after merging. The menu entry "Conflict resolved" isn't available any more, but I can do a normal SVN commit and it seems OK. We'll see. I get tired of doing manual stuff with tools. Maybe I'm just spoiled using LV. :-)

Thank you.

That's one way to do it -- but you may end up missing out on something and can lose work.

The whole reason that you get the .r2, .r3 is so that you can choose to resolve the conflict with 'use mine' or 'use theirs'. Also, sometimes its really helpful to be able to tell what the differences are in the conflicted VIs (you can open them with LabVIEW and use their comparison/merge tool). When you are done you can mark the conflict as 'resolved' (I believe this will delete the .r2, .r3 files but not sure). This gives you the power to not lose work by comparing what the differences are in the conflicted files.

Another way to get rid of conflicts is to delete all your local changes (or move them to a temp folder), and do a revert on the folder. That will get you to the latest state (based on the update that gave you a conflict). Now you can copy the files back from temp folder into your source folder and they will appear 'changed' (as opposed to 'conflicted') and you can commit them to your repository.

QUOTE (Omar Mussa @ Aug 19 2008, 08:23 AM)

That's one way to do it -- but you may end up missing out on something and can lose work.

The whole reason that you get the .r2, .r3 is so that you can choose to resolve the conflict with 'use mine' or 'use theirs'. Also, sometimes its really helpful to be able to tell what the differences are in the conflicted VIs (you can open them with LabVIEW and use their comparison/merge tool). When you are done you can mark the conflict as 'resolved' (I believe this will delete the .r2, .r3 files but not sure). This gives you the power to not lose work by comparing what the differences are in the conflicted files.

Another way to get rid of conflicts is to delete all your local changes (or move them to a temp folder), and do a revert on the folder. That will get you to the latest state (based on the update that gave you a conflict). Now you can copy the files back from temp folder into your source folder and they will appear 'changed' (as opposed to 'conflicted') and you can commit them to your repository.

Thanks for all of the tips.

I'm wondering about whether it would be useful to have a SVN forum on LAVA? A lot of LAVA members seem to use it and, one "gateway" for info about SVN might be a real encouragement and support to those of us who have yet "jumped in" or who have and hit their head on the bottom of the pool. :oops: