LabVIEW Ladder Diagram Editor...

The interweb site is: http://www.ni.com/labs/

It looks like an excellent idea, the idea of learning a new language scares off a lot of people from compact field point. For many of these customers a 5K development environment is dirt cheap so hopefully NI will get some more customers and more importantly cFP and cRIO will gain more industry acceptance.

So in short, bloody good work NI.

This is interesting.

I know a lot of PLC programmers that have many years of experience work with ladder logic. This would be a great way to capture that market.

It might also be a great gateway envirnment into LabVIEW :ninja: . While working in their familer ladder logic envirnment they could discover how cool LabVIEW is!

Dan

QUOTE (ASTDan @ Aug 19 2008, 03:06 PM)

It might also be a great gateway envirnment into LabVIEW

I agree - I figure the ladder logic interface (haven't looked at it yet, so speaking from complete ignorance :) ) would call VIs, and once folks start editing those to do what they want then they'll be caught in the LabVIEW web...

...forever.

QUOTE (crelf @ Aug 19 2008, 02:55 PM)

I agree - I figure the ladder logic interface (haven't looked at it yet, so speaking from complete ignorance :) ) would call VIs, and once folks start editing those to do what they want then they'll be caught in the LabVIEW web...

Under the hood is a VI that runs on the target that implements the ladder logic, but the user doesn't have access to that VI. He can, however, add VIs to the rungs of his ladder diagram, and those VIs can do whatever he wants.

-D

A few great things about this package:

1. Maintenance Electricians understand ladder logic (coils/contacts/...). Most electricians don't like variables and programs (anything else running on a computer).

2. The production world thinks "stability" when they think of ladder logic. They think "instability" when they think of computer programs (i.e. Windows). This can bridge the gap for NI in the production world.

3. Under the hood, the user can run custom VIs. Both worlds win!

One mega-disadvantage compared to PLCs:

Programmable logic controllers have the ability to make program modifications online (while running a program). There are limitations of online edits, such that the user variable storage is fixed. However, changes in logic are possible without disrupting a production line. If NI could develop a way to allow for online edits and with the ability to program in a familar language, I could see the real-time/cRIO market become a viable option.

-Brian

QUOTE (Norm Kirchner @ Aug 19 2008, 07:58 AM)

Who in the world has RT 8.6?

I want it!

Can you download modules now?

I hope so - otherwise our Dev Suite subsription won't be here til Q3 - which usually turns into Q4.

Don't know abut around the globe - but they are so slow in Australia!

Can you download it?

(Can't get into ni.com for some reason as at writing this, so I cannot check)

QUOTE (jgcode @ Aug 20 2008, 07:01 AM)

I hope so - otherwise our Dev Suite subsription won't be here til Q3 - which usually turns into Q4.

Don't know abut around the globe - but they are so slow in Australia!

Looks like I will have to eat my shorts...

Guess what turned up in the mail today....

I am humble enough to do a big shout apology to NI ;)