New poll on The Paper Chase

QUOTE (Tom Bress @ Aug 21 2008, 03:55 PM)

Actually, I don't know. I haven't had to recertify yet, ever, so I don't know what is involved. I've always gotten the next higher certification before my old one ran out.

Does it cost money? What are the recerts like for each level of certification?

I have taken the re-cert for the CLD. It is a 1 hour multiple choice exam like the CLAD. I was able to take the exam a local training center 10 minutes from my house. I got my results imeadiatly aftwards. I have to take the re-cert again very soon. I think it costs $200. I received a voucher for attending a NI developer days for $200 off training and recertification. So this time around it will be free.

I was very impressed with NI's recertification process. I like being able to take it at a local testing center, and having my test results right now was great! :thumbup:

Dan

QUOTE (Karissap @ Aug 25 2008, 07:00 PM)

Still off-topic

The Therac-25 used a DEC PDP-11 as shown in this wiki article.

Well it just so happens that I have a the front panel of a PDP-11/70 on my desk!

http://lavag.org/old_files/monthly_08_2008/post-29-1219765052.jpg' target="_blank">post-29-1219765052.jpg?width=400

I use it a visual aide for the rookies to get an idea of what computers were like "back in the day".

Ben

QUOTE (neB @ Aug 21 2008, 03:32 PM)

... I could post to the Dark-Side or here on LAVA looking for sponsors. If you get three or more sponsors (indicating that they can confirm I have remained active) no re-test ...

"Sponsors"? :blink: What then? "The 12 Steps for LabVIEW-aholics"? :laugh:

QUOTE (Karissap @ Aug 25 2008, 04:00 PM)

True, there are cases where faulty software has killed or seriously injured people - but I still don't think writing software and flying a plane have too much in common. We could make training and certification a requirement to write code for any commercial application as it is a requirement to fly a plane, but I don't think that would prevent potentially deadly bugs from creeping into the code.

The killer spaghetti code will always find a way :ninja:

QUOTE (neB @ Aug 26 2008, 11:38 AM)

Still off-topic

The Therac-25 used a DEC PDP-11 as shown in this wiki article.

Well it just so happens that I have a the front panel of a PDP-11/70 on my desk!

post-29-1219765052.jpg?width=400

I use it a visual aide for the rookies to get an idea of what computers were like "back in the day".

Ben

Didn't every University have a PDP-11 in the late '70s? I wrote my first program on a terminal connected to one. That's one piece of history you have there. :thumbup: