LabVIEW NT Service and OOP Collide?!

Hi all!

I succesfully could build system services out of LV Applications using srvany and instsrv in the past.

Now I get problems when I use classes with overwrite VIs:

They do have the same name so the name conflict is solved by the AppBuilder by copying the VIs with the same names to different subfolders. I can start the exe that is built this way.

But I cannot start the service I created!

I always get "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion"

I guess this is due to not beeing able to load the VIs from the subfolders. But I am not sure.

I made a very easy VI to test it: Containig only 2 VIs with the same name, building the exe, (subfolders are created), exe can be started, created service succesfully, ERROR 1053 when starting the service!

I do not know how to solve this. I mean I really do need overwrite VIs and i do need the App to run as a service!

Any help is really appreciated.

Best regards,

Stefan

I currently have an application running as a service using srvany and overrided VIs. So it's possible.

The only difference with your problem description is the way I manage the overrided VIs. For this application I manually configure the application builder to save classes as a different .llb file instead of letting it copy the file in different directories.

This application is build with LV8.5 but if my memory serves, I did the same thing with LV8.2.

Thank You fro replying that fast!

QUOTE (pdc @ Aug 20 2008, 06:48 PM)

Hmmm... Knowing that - i retried to do the whole thing and guess what - Now it works!

I do not know what I did wrong this afternoon. I tried to create this service about 20 times, always successful but it could not be started. So I created another easy Test service without overwriting VIs. It worked so I thought I'd found the problem. However.

QUOTE (pdc @ Aug 20 2008, 06:48 PM)

For this application I manually configure the application builder to save classes as a different .llb file instead of letting it copy the file in different directories.

That is generally a good idea I guess. I will do that in the future. Though I do not know how to, yet.

I guess it's an option in the build specifications, right?

Time to go home now. Thanks again!

Stefan

QUOTE (Milchbilch @ Aug 20 2008, 01:19 PM)

That is generally a good idea I guess. I will do that in the future. Though I do not know how to, yet.

I guess it's an option in the build specifications, right?

I would like to say it's just a checkbox, but it's not.

In the application builder you have to create multiple Destination with the destination type = LLB. Than, in the source file settings, you can associate VIs, libraries, classes or directories to a custom destination by clicking "Set destination for all contained items".

It's not so hard if the project is well organized.