Creating Installer without DVDs LV 8.6

I have been trying to create an installer for my app, but even though I have all the drivers loaded on my laptop, the builder keeps asking for the DVDs. I don't want to have to carry them around with me all the time (I do a lot of my programming while at home). Is there a way to create an installer without needing the DVDs? Will I have to copy each DVD to a folder on my laptop (wasting a lot of disk space)?

Thanks!

Todd Munsell

WGP&W Industrial Turbine Services

I'm sorry, maybe I wasn't explaining the problem clearly. This is a first time installation of the app for the target PC.

I want to build the app so it will run with just the run-time engine installed on the target PC, without having to install the entire LV program. But, for the build to work, it needs certain programs such as MAX and the NI-Serial drivers. It's when I select these to be added to the installer that it keeps asking for the DVDs. I'm out of town now, so I don't have access to the DVDs. I want to create the installer and email it to my workplace.

Thanks.

Todd

QUOTE (tmunsell @ Aug 21 2008, 02:24 PM)

I'm sorry, maybe I wasn't explaining the problem clearly. This is a first time installation of the app for the target PC.

I want to build the app so it will run with just the run-time engine installed on the target PC, without having to install the entire LV program. But, for the build to work, it needs certain programs such as MAX and the NI-Serial drivers. It's when I select these to be added to the installer that it keeps asking for the DVDs. I'm out of town now, so I don't have access to the DVDs. I want to create the installer and email it to my workplace.

Thanks.

Todd

Maybe you can download what you need from ni.com? Or get others to download & install required components separately from ni.com, while you send them a simpler build without the addtional components.

Or get a local NI rep to drive you the CD's you need.

I know, its a pain, whenever I visit a customer-site, I carry along all 15-20 CD's and DVD's of the last two versions of LV + toolkits, just in case.

Neville.

Hello Todd,

I've never used this feature, but with LV 8.2 and greater you should be able to cache the device drivers and components you need the first time you create an install.

From LV 8.2 Help:

"... Caching installer components—If you build an installer more than once and the installer contains additional installers or components, caching eliminates the need to specify a location for the additional components each time you build the installer.

The first time you build the installer, the Locate Distribution dialog box prompts you to locate the distribution that contains the additional components. Place a checkmark in the Cache component from this distribution checkbox to copy files from the distribution into a permanent location on the local system. The next time you build an installer that includes these components, the Application Builder automatically copies the components from the local system instead of prompting you for a distribution CD. "

Hope this helps,

Dan DeFriese

QUOTE (Dan DeFriese @ Aug 22 2008, 12:29 PM)

Hello Todd,

I've never used this feature, but with LV 8.2 and greater you should be able to cache the device drivers and components you need the first time you create an install.

From LV 8.2 Help:

"... Caching installer components—If you build an installer more than once and the installer contains additional installers or components, caching eliminates the need to specify a location for the additional components each time you build the installer.

The first time you build the installer, the Locate Distribution dialog box prompts you to locate the distribution that contains the additional components. Place a checkmark in the Cache component from this distribution checkbox to copy files from the distribution into a permanent location on the local system. The next time you build an installer that includes these components, the Application Builder automatically copies the components from the local system instead of prompting you for a distribution CD. "

Hope this helps,

Dan DeFriese

This is a very useful feature indeed. Don't need those DVDs anymore because of this feature! Just a small disclaimer though. This feature will simply copy the DVD's installation files to your harddrive. Basically, building your exe will be easier but you will have to have enough disk space to store the driver installation files to your hard drive.

Yvan

QUOTE (Dan DeFriese @ Aug 22 2008, 11:29 AM)

Hello Todd,

From LV 8.2 Help:

Hope this helps,

Dan DeFriese

That used to work great up to LV 8.5, but I don't think it's available in 8.6. At least I haven't found how to make it cache the components yet. I'd really like to know how to get that feature back.

George

QUOTE (tmunsell @ Aug 21 2008, 12:14 PM)

I have been trying to create an installer for my app, but even though I have all the drivers loaded on my laptop, the builder keeps asking for the DVDs. I don't want to have to carry them around with me all the time (I do a lot of my programming while at home). Is there a way to create an installer without needing the DVDs? Will I have to copy each DVD to a folder on my laptop (wasting a lot of disk space)?

I finally got LV 8.6 to cache the distributions. NI gave this advice and it worked.

In order to get the Locate Distribution dialog box to appear that has the

Cache component from this distribution checkbox, you must attempt a

build where LabVIEW cannot find the source files needed for the

distribution. To do this do not insert the DVD that has the files

needed or point to a location that you know does not have the needed

distribution files. Then this dialog box will appear asking you to

redirect the computer to the correct location of these files. When

this Locate Distribution dialog box appears it will include the

needed checkbox.

George