PDA as universal remote control

Gabi1

Hallo Leute,

Challenge: my house is full of remotes. i dont stress it enough: FULL - DVD, HIFI, TV, projector, sat receiver, computer...

So I was toying with the idea of buying a universal. a worthy one (user friendly and actually doing what is needed, plus some programmed functionality) is just above my budget for the purpose (if i can manage ith LV...).

and then, i have my nice Windows mobile 5 PDA, with wireless and an infrared port (granted, on the wrong side of the PDA,but who said we cant turn around the LV buttons?).

So to make it run, all i need is LV PDA, (or some kind of server connection to my computer with the wireless), and the drivers for using the Infrared port as input-output device: the idea is to record the commands from the native remotes using a labview routine and DAQmx, and vice versa.

But: how do i get to use the IR interface? i have heard that one can instruct LV to use mouse for example as I/O device. is it the same here? how do i do that?

And also before getting into the hassle of installing LV to PDA: does it all worth it?

THanks for your inputs.

QUOTE (Gabi1 @ Aug 25 2008, 12:37 PM)

And also before getting into the hassle of installing LV to PDA: does it all worth it?

As long as it is your hobby/passion than it is worth it as you'll get the joy of a 'do it yourself' experience. If you are thinking it will cost less than going out and buying a 'universal remote' I think you are better off plunking the $ due to the time investment you'll inevitably make.

QUOTE (Omar Mussa @ Aug 25 2008, 09:45 PM)

As long as it is your hobby/passion than it is worth it as you'll get the joy of a 'do it yourself' experience. If you are thinking it will cost less than going out and buying a 'universal remote' I think you are better off plunking the $ due to the time investment you'll inevitably make.

I meant in the sense of "how much buggy is LV PDA"? how different is it from LV "original"? is it going to be a frustration-does-work-at-the-end project, or a fun thing that will end up nice. i am looking for your experiences as a LV PDA developer.

i have never came across projects requiering PDA so...

QUOTE (Gabi1 @ Aug 25 2008, 03:37 PM)

Hallo Leute,

Challenge: my house is full of remotes. i dont stress it enough: FULL - DVD, HIFI, TV, projector, sat receiver, computer...

So I was toying with the idea of buying a universal. a worthy one (user friendly and actually doing what is needed, plus some programmed functionality) is just above my budget for the purpose (if i can manage ith LV...).

and then, i have my nice Windows mobile 5 PDA, with wireless and an infrared port (granted, on the wrong side of the PDA,but who said we cant turn around the LV buttons?).

So to make it run, all i need is LV PDA, (or some kind of server connection to my computer with the wireless), and the drivers for using the Infrared port as input-output device: the idea is to record the commands from the native remotes using a labview routine and DAQmx, and vice versa.

But: how do i get to use the IR interface? i have heard that one can instruct LV to use mouse for example as I/O device. is it the same here? how do i do that?

THanks for your inputs.

I am not sure about the IR interface, but have you looked at the Price Point for Labview PDA Module? That would be an expensive Universal Remote!! (Fun project though)

As mentioned, the PDA module (and licenses, although I think you don't need one if you only have one copy) is expensive. Additionally, I haven't worked with the recent versions of the module, but you should still expect it to be buggy. In the past, it was often "code something, test it, and then spend quite a bit of time finding and working around the PDA module bugs, some of which will be highly unexpected". I assume it's still more or less the same.

I believe you should be able to use the IR port using the IrDA functions or as a serial port, but I never tried, so I can't tell. The documentation for the module can probably give you the answer.

All in all, I would go with the others' suggestion of using a real remote or proper software.

thanks guys for your input. as gar as licence goes, i have the module here with mine. dont intend to distribute.

QUOTE (Yair @ Aug 26 2008, 06:31 PM)

All in all, I would go with the others' suggestion of using a real remote or proper software.

i guess so. would be stupid to reinvent the weel, even with LV. yet i will try to talk to the IR port via NI-daq, see if i can get something usefull.