Bug fix to LAVA tagging system installed

The LAVA tagging system was installed a while back however it's been a little buggy. I've just installed a bugfix release to the tagging system here on LAVA which should fix most issues. The main one was you were not able to tag posts you did not create. Now tagging should work for all users on all content. If you notice any issues please respond on this thread.

QUOTE (neB @ Aug 27 2008, 02:48 PM)

The value of the tags are dependent on the thought we put into the tags and the rleationships that grow between related tags. Eventually it COULD become an outline of LabVIEW knowledge. I have started to build one of these Trees of LV Knowledge on the "Dark-Side". http://forums.ni.com/ni/tagging/tagging_detail?tag.cloud_grouping=tag&tag.cloud_style=related&tag.max_age=all&tag.message_scope=all&tag.user_scope=all&tag.tag_scope=list&tag.id=671&tag.visibility=public' target="_blank">This link (on the Dark-Side) is for the tag "LabVIEW_Performance" demonstrates how a single entry point can span out to many related topics that would not show up in a simple search.

The Dark-Side tags have been very helpful for me to find old posts that addressed new questions.

So the tags are only as good as we make them.

Ben

I would agree on the value if you could select the previously used tags (or even get suggestion on the right tag), but without streamlineing tags it is no better then a regular search on posts. The clouds in their current state is just clutter, it is stone age pressentation style. Any real clusters are pushed appart or togheter by the length of the tag. I have used some search engine that produced 3d clouds that with points in color and mouse-over labels, when I did it last I had a pentium computer and it was slow. I can find that search engine now..

My opion is that decluttering that taging is meant achived can be achived by other more efficent means.

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ Aug 27 2008, 09:01 AM)

I can't tag, the little popup comes up, if I click go I get a blank page.

QUOTE (Anders Björk @ Aug 27 2008, 04:12 PM)

I would agree on the value if you could select the previously used tags (or even get suggestion on the right tag), but without streamlineing tags it is no better then a regular search on posts.

If I add a tag to a post (I tried 'tag' on your last post) I get some options (VI Tags, Tagproposal) so that is streamlined.

I labeled some posts as 'spam' to indicate I think those posts are spam (besides that I reported it to the admin). This way you can express your opinion on a post.

Ton

QUOTE (Anders Björk @ Aug 27 2008, 10:12 AM)

I have used some search engine that produced 3d clouds that with points in color and mouse-over labels

I've seen tag clouds that are 3D, but not as you might imagine: the font of the tag is proportional to the number of instances of the tag. It's pretty simple, but it's very effective.

QUOTE (crelf @ Aug 29 2008, 08:08 AM)

This is the case for the LAVA tags as well. The reason that the fonts haven't changed (yet) is because there are not enough duplicate tags yet. It's still new.

Also, I'd like to mention another use for the tags. Usually a thread here on LAVA starts off on one topic, which is included in the topic title (usually, if the poster thinks about it) and then eventually goes off into another topic. This is fine but it's hard to find the subtopic of the thread in a search. If you tag the sub-post with relevant tags then google search will see those tags and they may come up on your next search. In other words, you tags become part of the page contents which google picks up. So I see tagging as a smarter human way of adding keywords to our web content so that the next Google search will work better. Also, as mentioned in the beginning. Most posters choose poor topic titles. Adding several tags to the top of the thread improves the thread relavence to the topics discussed.

So, for now, don't think of it as away to improve the navigation but as a way to improve the searchability of our content.

PS: Another use of the tags is to categorize. For example, I've started using the tag: "Memorable Post". I think we should all tag the entire thread with this tag when the topic seems to be attracting a lot of replies and several passionate responses. In other words, a "hot" topic. Having topics grouped like that allows LAVA to link to them as a group later.

• 1 month later...