Using LabVIEW to disable PC devices and shutdown Windows from LabVIEW

DidikChandra

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how to disable all PC ports that maybe used to leak information from the PC. I'm using a PC to create a HMI that connects to a PLC. My LabVIEW program directly starts when windows is starting up. I'm not using any keyboard or mouse, instead I'm using a modified 19" LCD screen to a touch screen panel. So any unused ports I should disable or maybe block certain feature connected to it (like for USB I should block feature for Flash Drive, USB Hub, Keyboard, Mouse but allowing only the Touch Panel Interface). I've found some third party utility for it, but I'd prefer to have LabVIEW to be in control of everything.

Second, since the PC is not allowed to be used for anyother purpose, then shuting down the PC should also be from LabVIEW ... Now I'm completely blind on how to do that :lightbulb: , please shine some light on me.

Best regards,

Didik Chandra

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how to disable all PC ports that maybe used to leak information from the PC. I'm using a PC to create a HMI that connects to a PLC. My LabVIEW program directly starts when windows is starting up. I'm not using any keyboard or mouse, instead I'm using a modified 19" LCD screen to a touch screen panel. So any unused ports I should disable or maybe block certain feature connected to it (like for USB I should block feature for Flash Drive, USB Hub, Keyboard, Mouse but allowing only the Touch Panel Interface). I've found some third party utility for it, but I'd prefer to have LabVIEW to be in control of everything.

Second, since the PC is not allowed to be used for anyother purpose, then shuting down the PC should also be from LabVIEW ... Now I'm completely blind on how to do that :lightbulb: , please shine some light on me.

And I'm using LabVIEW 8.0.1, Windows XP Pro SP3

Best regards,

Didik Chandra

QUOTE (DidikChandra @ Sep 13 2008, 06:59 PM)

And I'm using LabVIEW 8.0.1, Windows XP Pro SP3

Best regards,

Didik Chandra

You can shutdown Windows from LabVIEW using the system command 'shutdown'. In LabVIEW make a System Exec call 'shutdown -s -t 1'

When looking for information on how to do something new try Googling your question first. Googling "Windows Shutdown" I quickly found: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shutcut.php

The best place to look for information on native Windows commands is on the Microsoft Developer Site.

Bluesky

QUOTE (DidikChandra @ Sep 13 2008, 03:53 PM)

Hello everyone,

Best regards,

Didik Chandra

QUOTE (DidikChandra @ Sep 14 2008, 01:53 AM)

disable or maybe block certain feature connected to it (like for USB I should block feature for Flash Drive, USB Hub, Keyboard, Mouse but allowing only the Touch Panel Interface). I've found some third party utility for it, but I'd prefer to have LabVIEW to be in control of everything.

Second, since the PC is not allowed to be used for anyother purpose, then shuting down the PC should also be from LabVIEW ...

Hi,

What you want is perfectly possible from LabVIEW by calling the microsoft command line tool devcon, which is freely available. I've used it in the past to detect inserted USB devices, but you can enable, disable, install, uninstall all kinds of devices with it. It can also reboot your PC.

Joris