upgarde a project

Hi all,

Has anyone tried to upgrade the LabVIEW version of a big project from 8.5 to 8.6 ?

I have a 1000-VIs-project (including some IMAQ / DAQmx / Motion) which originally started in LV 7.1 and as time and versions went by it was gradually upgraded in LV8, LV8.20 and LV8.5.1. The Upgrade of the LabVIEW went quite smoothly and almost as smoothly for the IMAQ / DAQmx upgrades.

But now that we try to upgrade in LV 8.6, we always end-up in a wall.

We first tried to copy the whole source folder in LV8.5.1 on a local drive, opened LV 8.6 and mass compile the folder -> LV 8.6 crash.

Then we just tried to directly open the *.lvproj with LV 8.6 -> LV 8.6 crash...

:headbang:

Anyone can share experience about this ?

QUOTE (Antoine Châlons @ Sep 17 2008, 06:59 AM)

I have a large 1000 VI Vision project as well. The upgrade didn't go as smoothly. For some reason after mass compile LV 8.6 would crash. I narrowed it down to a particular VI and then to the IMAQ image display in it. Replacing this display and saving the VI caused the project to open correctly.

Then I had problems with building exe's under LV and LV-RT. LV 8.6 has a new web server for RT as well, and this webserver interferes with the install process if creating an image of a PXI using http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3937' target="_blank">NI's System Replication tool. Specifically, an image of an RT target cannot be applied to another RT target of the same type, since somehow the webserver files or something are different. This is a very important feature for us, allowing upgrades to PXI's remotely.

I don't remember what the problems with the LV exe build was. Something to do with disconnecting the type-defs?

At this point I gave up, and went back to LV 8.5.1. At least Vision 8.6 and its upgrade to 8.6.1 went smoothly and that has a lot of good features I can use right away in LV 8.5.1. I don't really miss the new features of LV 8.6.

If mass-compile crashes LV 8.6, don't open the whole project; open up individual folders and recompile them one at a time.

N.

QUOTE (Antoine Châlons @ Sep 17 2008, 05:59 AM)

Hi all,

Has anyone tried to upgrade the LabVIEW version of a big project from 8.5 to 8.6 ?

I have a 1000-VIs-project (including some IMAQ / DAQmx / Motion) which originally started in LV 7.1 and as time and versions went by it was gradually upgraded in LV8, LV8.20 and LV8.5.1. The Upgrade of the LabVIEW went quite smoothly and almost as smoothly for the IMAQ / DAQmx upgrades.

But now that we try to upgrade in LV 8.6, we always end-up in a wall.

We first tried to copy the whole source folder in LV8.5.1 on a local drive, opened LV 8.6 and mass compile the folder -> LV 8.6 crash.

Then we just tried to directly open the *.lvproj with LV 8.6 -> LV 8.6 crash...

:headbang:

Anyone can share experience about this ?

I have a 1400+ VI project that has been successively migrated over the years from v5 code and is now up and running in v6 code without any real problems -- except that now my lvproj rarely crashes. Even in 8.5x I would get crashes occasionally and then lose the lvproj file. It seems that the crashes I had in prior versions were related to refnums and/or refs to Queues (esp in v8.5x). I was losing the ability to use "Find Errors", etc.

These kinds of issues rarely arise in v8.6 and almost always arise ONLY if I don't save the relevant VIs and LVPROJ files before invoking Find Errors. Doing that has just become a standard part of how I work and that probably was a good idea regardless of what prompted it!

It sounds like the problems may lie with IMAQ. Is it possible for you to separate out the IMAQ related parts of the overall project and see how it goes migrating those parts and then try migrating IMAQ. After that happens reintegrating the IMAQ portions of the project shouldn't be too difficult and would, hopefully, resolve any migration-related issues present in IMAQ related code/projects.

I had a major problem upgrading from Labview 8.5.1 to Labview 8.6 My problem was with the DAQmx drivers. I worked at length with NI tech support to fix the problem. Service Request Number 7206333

I learned the following:

1. When upgrading do not download and install just the Labview executable without the supporting drivers. Make sure when you upgrade between versions that you install from the distribution DVD's that include all of the supporting drivers. The problem started when I downloaded just the Labview 8.6 installer.

2. When I installed Labview 8.6 from just the downloaded executable instead of the distribution DVD's it did not license properly.

To fix the problems:

1. Uninstall Labview 8.6

2. Install Labview 8.6 from the Distribution DVD's and install the 8.6 compatible drivers needed for the hardware you use.

This fixed my problems with DAQmx and the licensing problems were corrected as well.

In my opinion NI created this problem by releasing the Labview 8.6 executable for download before they released all of the necessary drivers.

bluesky

QUOTE (Neville D @ Sep 23 2008, 09:31 AM)

A quick recap of your experience here would be helpful to all, I imagine.

N.

QUOTE (Neville D @ Sep 23 2008, 06:31 PM)

True !

We a few projects in LV 8.5.1 using Vision Development Module (VDM) 8.5.1 (just for info : http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/244E6DDF9A92A6CD8625730100629047' target="_blank">compatibility notice) that we wanted to upgrade to LV 8.6 and VDM 8.6.

1. We installed a PC with LV and VDM 8.6 and tried :

- to mass compile the project folder -> LV Crash

- open the *.lvproj -> LV Crash

2. Then we installed a PC with LV 8.6 and VDM 8.6.1 and tried :

3. We installed a PC with LV 8.5.1 and VDM 8.6 and tried :

4. Then we installed received a fix from NI Vision Team and so far it works fine.

I believe the fix will be turn into a VDM 8.6.2 soon.