Disable TortoiseSVN automatic read-only

I've been thinking and experimenting a lot with source control lately and one thing that has come up is that TortoiseSVN seems automatically set a file to read-only after it has been committed, meaning that before you re-edit the file you must unset the read-only status. Admittedly this is not a particularly hard task, but has anyone come up with a simple method for avoiding having to do the whole unset read-only thing after every commit?

Thanks,

Shaun

PS. As a side note - as there seem to be more and more people using source control with LabVIEW, and with it comes a whole bunch of issues, is it worth a separate forum for source code control / project management type things in LAVA?

QUOTE (Shaun Hayward @ Sep 25 2008, 10:55 AM)

I've been thinking and experimenting a lot with source control lately and one thing that has come up is that TortoiseSVN seems automatically set a file to read-only after it has been committed...

Are you locking the files when you commit? If so, setting local files as read only is desired - and this is fairly common when working with multiple developers (it's not always the case, but I find it comfortable :) ). If you're working on your own and don't care about the locking paradigm, then you can change it not to lock local files.

QUOTE (Shaun Hayward @ Sep 25 2008, 04:55 PM)

...but has anyone come up with a simple method for avoiding having to do the whole unset read-only thing after every commit?...

As crelf is saying, I think you are better off leaving this as it is. Also remember to have LabVIEW treat read only files as locked!

If you still feel that you'd like to automatically unlock files, you can probably do so, by adding post-hook scripts in TSVN settings, or by editing the config file in C:\Documents And Settings\<user>\Application Data\Subversion\ directly.

Maybe the no-unlock property in the miscellany section fits your needs (keeping you files locked even after commit).

/J

PS. As a side note - as there seem to be more and more people using source control with LabVIEW, and with it comes a whole bunch of issues, is it worth a separate forum for source code control / project management type things in LAVA?

I agree. I also was thinking we should start a Wiki page on source code control. (It would be good to have key information in one place. I'd like to share what I have found and learn from others.) I hope to set up such a page next weekend (but no promises).

Paul

QUOTE (Ton @ Sep 25 2008, 11:19 AM)

I have never seen TSVN do this. As far as I know only PushOK's SVN interface for MSSCC (LabVIEW) does that by default, and it is possible to turn this feature off.

Ton

I'm Adrian, and I am working with Shaun on this one. TSVN still behaves this way even after completely disabling the PushOKRWMon.exe. I can manually disable that service, and the behavior still happens.

It seems we may be getting to the bottom of this one - what appears to be happening is everytime PushOK & LabVIEW touch a file in a repository it seems to set the svn:needs-lock property on that particular file (which is why we found it hard to trouble shoot - on our test systems we ended up with some files read-only and some not).

...now time for the whole "should we enforce locking or automatically clear any svn:needs-lock properties " debate... :blink:

Thanks for all your inputs!

Shaun