Multiple Configuration Floating Windows

Variant

QUOTE (Variant @ Sep 27 2008, 10:48 AM)

What you are showing are child windows. LabVIEW does not natively support child windows, but you can create them through Windows OS calls. See this http://forums.lavag.org/Simulating-MDI-interface-in-Labview-t1071.html' target="_blank">LAVA thread for more information.

I would highly recommend that you look at alternatives such as tab controls and subpanels before attempting child windows in LabVIEW.

QUOTE (Variant @ Sep 27 2008, 09:18 PM)

Can anyone tell me if there is any option of bringing multiple configuration windows as attached. I really need this feature. I tried having multiple front panel but it doesn't look great. Please suggest if you have any ideas

Do you need Fix number of such windows or you need to dynamically change the numbers. If numbers are fix then using splitter bar can be a good alternative

• 2 weeks later...

1. Create a new toplevel VI

2. on Frontpanel insert 4 SubPanel

3. on Blockdiagram insert a "Static VI Reference" and wire it to the "SubPanel" Invoke Methode.

4. rightklick on "Static VI Reference" => Browse for Path..." and select your VI to view inside the first subpanel.

5. do the same with the other 3 SubPanels

6. close the frontpanels of the 4 subvis

7. during runtime of the new vi you can see the subvis - (you may add a 5 sec delay to the toplevel VI)

It looks like 4 holes in the toplevel vi.

The subvis are complete independend from the toplevel VI - so you must Run them separately or use them as subvis inside blockdiagram of the toplevel VI.

greetings

QUOTE (gleichman @ Sep 28 2008, 04:09 AM)

is there an inherent reason for LV not implementing child windows? i see lots of applications for my projects, and always had to do without.

Would be a tremendous feature.

QUOTE (Gabi1 @ Oct 12 2008, 07:17 PM)

is there an inherent reason for LV not implementing child windows? i see lots of applications for my projects, and always had to do without.

Would be a tremendous feature.

You don't have to do without, as long as you don't mind implementing the code for each OS where you want this. As mentioned, there is already some code online for Windows. Once you do this, you will probably see why NI does not take the time to do it.

Incidentally, while I thought about this a long time ago, I never actually needed it for any application.

I have implemented a windowing scheme like this for an image processing application done in the past.

If done properly, you can have all the functionality you need (cascading, minimizing, arranging) and have it look native to the system.

I would STRONGLY recommend not doing the OS calls to make this work as I have had TONS of instability issues w/ regards to LV and doing this.

If this is the kind of functionality that you need and the user expects, then making a window manager will be your best bet.

Use vit's along w/ VI server or reentrant FP (personal choice) and each time that you spawn a new window, make sure the manager holds it and manages it as needed.

QUOTE (Norm Kirchner @ Oct 14 2008, 05:50 AM)

Use vit's along w/ VI server or reentrant FP (personal choice) and each time that you spawn a new window, make sure the manager holds it and manages it as needed.

...and then this "Reentrant FP Window Holder" -VI only contains one big SubPanel, that is set to "Fit control to Pane".

//Mikael