Path too long

ASTDan

I am trying to load some code. The top level VI I am tying to load can't load some of the type def controls because the path is too long to the type def.

Anyone else run into this problem. If so what was your solution. I am using LabVIEW 82 on this project.

Thanks

Dan

Well by shorting the file path that fixed the problem :oops:

I ran into the 256 character limitation in windows.

• 3 weeks later...

QUOTE (crelf @ Sep 30 2008, 09:56 AM)

Sounds like you're hitting the 256 character limit for paths - try moving the heirachy higher in the path (eg: move everything so your top-level or lvproj is in the root).

In fact it is 260 minus 1 characters since the MAX_PATH constant in the Windows API is 260 and you need one character for the terminating NUL character. However some Unicode Windows API functions can work with longer filenames, if they are formatted as UNC.

Rolf Kalbermatter

• 2 weeks later...

I was re-reading my "LabVIEW Style Guide" and came accros a very interesting feature that would solve this problem very nicely.

It is project libraries. This is explained on page 43 in the "LabVIEW Style Guide"

Here is the documentation on NI's website

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/37...ject_libraries/

In short the LabVIEW project library is a file with the .lvlib extension that maintains properties shared by a collection of LabVIEW source files. The properties include a name prefix, and much much more.

I was manually puting my project name in all my vi file names. This way I can shorten my file names on disk while still preventing cross linking!

Cool!!!

• 1 month later...

Dan,

I have run into this issue also. One example: my office network has a very deep path for active projects, by the time you get to the LabVIEW folder the path is already 100 characters!

Anyways, you can use a "junction" for folders or a "hard link" for files on Windows using the Link Shell Extension

Install the link shell extension, select your root labview project folder, then drop the junction at a shorter location. I like to drop all my junctions in C:\LabVIEW\ for my active projects.

You now have a working path and did not have to move any files!