New programming community site: stackoverflow.com

eaolson

I've been fascinated by Stack Overflow lately. It's a neat way to get answers to any simple programming question you might have, or just to probe the opinion of a number of professionals. But the way the whole site works is unlike anything I've used before, too. It's like Usenet meets a wiki crossed with digg. There's not a lot of LabVIEW content there at the moment, however.

QUOTE (eaolson @ Sep 30 2008, 02:48 PM)

I've been fascinated by http://stackoverflow.com/' rel='nofollow' target="_blank">Stack Overflow lately. It's a neat way to get answers to any simple programming question you might have, or just to probe the opinion of a number of professionals. But the way the whole site works is unlike anything I've used before, too. It's like Usenet meets a wiki crossed with digg. There's not a lot of LabVIEW content there at the moment, however.

Arc the daft?

I agree, it's an interesting concept. The sheer volume of knowledge there, even during the beta, has been overwhelming.

Joe Z.

QUOTE (Jim Kring @ Oct 1 2008, 03:42 PM)

I've been follow stackoverflow, too -- it's a great concept. It will be interesting to see how it evolves.

Dont like the GUI of this site much, I'd better stick with this site as I am still a new member to this

awesome site. Go LAVA !

QUOTE (Minh Pham @ Sep 30 2008, 10:56 PM)

Dont like the GUI of this site much, I'd better stick with this site as I am still a new member to this

awesome site. Go LAVA !

The point of the stackoverflow.com site is that users ask programming questions and people reply with answers to the programming questions. Answers get voted up and down, with the best answers floating to the top. LAVA is much more than this -- it's a discussion forum with a suite of other community features like a wiki, code repository, and more.

QUOTE (Phillip Brooks @ Oct 3 2008, 06:50 AM)

That's good, I rarely visit the NI forums due to the high noise level there. I like systems like this, where the most relevant posts get tagged.

Even though functionally I like the stackoverflow site, I have to agree with Minh, I hate the interface. So little information is such a large space. I also hate search driven content, having a mish-mash of unstructured tags is just plain chaos. The only way to get LabVIEW posts it so search for the tag, for example: easily done, but bloody awful design if you ask me. I love the idea of a tag, but some moderation and of structure would be nice.

• 2 months later...