Useless error messages

Grrrr... If Jim Trouchard were here right now I'd poke his eyes out and feed them to my cat. :angry: WHY DO I HAVE TO SAVE MY PROJECT TO SCC EVERY FRIGGIN' 5 MINUTES TO PROTECT MYSELF AGAINST LABVIEW CRASHES!? :throwpc:

Some days I spend more time fixing problems from crashes than working on code. It certainly doesn't help my efforts to promote Labview when I have to tell my manager I spent the entire day trying to recover and rebuild code I had already finished... again.

The latest crash left me with the error, "This class is missing one or more member vis." Yeah? Thanks for noticing, but how about if you tell me something useful, like WHAT THE NAME OF THE MISSING VI IS! Telling me a class of 150+ vis is missing one vi is enough to make me... want to feed JT's eyes to my cat.

Words simply cannot express how &%*()# mad I am right now. But since I can't start yelling and throwing things this is about as good as I can do right now. (And it's woefully inadequate.)

QUOTE (Daklu @ Oct 8 2008, 12:17 AM)
like WHAT THE NAME OF THE MISSING VI IS!
The project window should show you the missing VI, with a bright yellow symbol next to it to make it easy to spot. But beyond that, I do agree with you: that error message should include the file name. Believe it or not, at the point where that string gets generated, I no longer have access to the object itself to get that file name. The interface, written many many many years ago, only passes an error code and some option flags, not an error string. I'm still trying to come up with a creative way to preserve that information without having to refactor the entire error reporting mechanism. It has bugged me since LV8.2.

Wow - cat owners are an angry bunch :D

I'm a cat owner by marriage, not by choice. Besides, I was rather hoping the cat would choke on it... :)

The project window should show you the missing VI, with a bright yellow symbol next to it to make it easy to spot.

I've had this error occur a couple times in the past and I have never had the missing vi show up in the project window, either in the class it is missing from (else it wouldn't be missing) or in the dependencies (as there are no other vis that are dependent on it.)

Believe it or not, at the point where that string gets generated, I no longer have access to the object itself to get that file name.

When I calm down and think rationally I'm sure, as you indicated, there are valid reasons specific perceived flaws are the way they are. Improving software based on 20 years of legacy code is no mean feat. I really don't fault anyone at NI for Labview's shortcomings. Like I said, I was extremely frustrated and needed a way to vent so I could continue working. (Although I am surprised it is something you have looked at changing... is there anything you don't have your fingers in?)

Now I have to think of a different way to dispose of a cat...

QUOTE (Daklu @ Oct 9 2008, 01:33 PM)

... is there anything you don't have your fingers in?)

[set TongueInCheekMode = True]

Stephan is part of a big plot by NI.

After realizing that they can't keep people from saying bad things about LV they came up with the grnad scheme.

1) Have a a heavy weight (I am talking gray matter mass not body mass) developer start answering toght in-depth questions on LAVA.

2) Keep the posts coming until the heavy weight creates a sense of indebtedness in the LAVA contributors.

3) Make it known that the heavy weight is stting behind every aspect of LV so the LAVA community is hesitant to say anything that may offend their special mentor.

4) Profit

[set TongueInCheekMode = False]

Thanks Stephan!

We on LAVA can honestly say that we "sit at the feet" of some of the greatest developers the world has ever known!

Ben

[OT]

QUOTE (crelf @ Oct 9 2008, 06:11 PM)

But you forgot to collect the underpants...

I'm impressed! A one word reference to South Park and you picked-up on it. Wow. And now that you brought up South Park (a totally bizarre program) and we were mentioning Aristos, I heard that Tim Burton is doing a version of "Alice In Wonderland". provided it isn't a musical, that sounds promising.

Ben

QUOTE (Daklu @ Oct 8 2008, 06:17 AM)

Grrrr... If Jim Trouchard were here right now I'd poke his eyes out and feed them to my cat. :angry: WHY DO I HAVE TO SAVE MY PROJECT TO SCC EVERY FRIGGIN' 5 MINUTES TO PROTECT MYSELF AGAINST LABVIEW CRASHES!? :throwpc:

Some days I spend more time fixing problems from crashes than working on code. It certainly doesn't help my efforts to promote Labview when I have to tell my manager I spent the entire day trying to recover and rebuild code I had already finished... again.

The latest crash left me with the error, "This class is missing one or more member vis." Yeah? Thanks for noticing, but how about if you tell me something useful, like WHAT THE NAME OF THE MISSING VI IS! Telling me a class of 150+ vis is missing one vi is enough to make me... want to feed JT's eyes to my cat.

Words simply cannot express how &%*()# mad I am right now. But since I can't start yelling and throwing things this is about as good as I can do right now. (And it's woefully inadequate.)

I wonder if you are using version 8.20. Seems very familier territoy.

If so Gotta fix it 8.2.1 at the very least.

QUOTE (Daklu @ Oct 9 2008, 12:33 PM)

Sure... I don't deal with the event structure except for App:Exit and Panel:Close. I don't deal with the front panel except for the LVClass control (and I wrote the alignment grid years ago). I know much about the Project Window but I really try not to work on it except when LV classes require it. I could probably make code changes in VI diff/merge/profiling, but you'd want someone else to check my work. I stay completely out of the PDA, DSC, DSP and embeded modules. The hardware APIs (DAQmx, GPIB, etc) are foreign territory. I don't know shared variables nor timed loops. I don't think I've ever made even a bug fix in an add-on toolkit. And I definitely cannot help you with installers or licensing.

LabVIEW is a vast product. LAVA happens to have a high interest in the areas that I work on: the block diagram, debugging (error feedback), the compiler, queues, LV classes. Getting LV to support classes required a pretty broad reach across the LabVIEW landscape, but even as far afield as my team went for that, there are still many areas of the code I've never had to visit.

QUOTE (Daklu @ Oct 9 2008, 12:33 PM)

I've had this error occur a couple times in the past and I have never had the missing vi show up in the project window, either in the class it is missing from (else it wouldn't be missing) or in the dependencies (as there are no other vis that are dependent on it.)

Weird. Ok... my memory of versions may be blurring here. I know LV8.6 reports the missing VIs in a class. I am nearly certain that 8.5 does. And I really thought that 8.2 did. If you have a project in 8.6 that doesn't show the missing file, I'd be interested in looking into that as a bug.

I wonder if you are using version 8.20.

Nope, this was with 8.5, although I have since upgraded to 8.6.

If you have a project in 8.6 that doesn't show the missing file, I'd be interested in looking into that as a bug.

If I see the error again I'll store and tag it in our scc.