Communicating to an Omega HH806 meter

ooth

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had experience talking to an Omega HH806W digital thermometer. Specifically I'd like to know the read/write commands. The software that came with the meter is only a small application and I'd like to use LabVIEW to do the communication. The weird thing is when I installed the software it came with a LabVIEW example but the very important read/write VI was missing. So I know LV communication can be done. I contacted Omega and they said the manufacture purposely holds back that code for proprietary concerns.

So before I have to go and find another meter with friendlier software support I wanted to ask the community if anyone had some information or VIs for this meter. Here's a link to a pic of the meter. HH806 Meter

Thanks everyone

• 1 month later...

Hey ooth,

I am considering buyig this HH806AU temp sensor/logger/streamer. Before I do that, I want to make sure that it can be "talked" to via LV and its USB (COM) connection. I have called the customer support, but they were completely un-knowledgeable in the type of the driver or LV interface. Did you have any luck hacking this thing so you have LV control? I am after just a temperature streaming capability. Let me know. Thank you.

Peter

Peter,

No I decided to go with another meter. I tried a little to figure out the protocol but gave up. It would have been nice to use that meter because of its high accuracy and wireless functionality. But the manufacturer would not give up the read/write commands or even the a description on which bits were what.

Anyway I am now using Extech's meter. It has the same high accuracy but no wireless (it's RS232). And yes I did have to make my own communication VI but at least the company was nice enough to give me the command set. The meter was only $200 from Newark.

I'll send you the VI and command set if you want.

-John

Neville,

I wanted a meter that also had a display for the operator to see. That's basically why I didn't use a DAQ. Plus NI stuff is a bit pricy. ;)

Here's my code for the Extech meter. I've also included the protocol paper that service sent me. The only thing I found incorrect on the paper is they state thermocouple type number as K=1, J=2, etc... and I found it was K=0, J=1, etc...

Let me know if you have any questions.

The Extech is on its way. Thanks for your code and the document.

In my case, I also want instant display and very large temperature ranges (i.e. -200C, which typically depends on thermocouple). NI is specking the NI ENET-9211 with 0C-55C, I am not sure if that is the box operating temperature, or the actual measurement range. The 24bit resolution should result in larger ranges.

John and others, thanks for your input!

Peter

QUOTE (kondratko @ Dec 4 2008, 07:04 AM)

In my case, I also want instant display and very large temperature ranges (i.e. -200C, which typically depends on thermocouple). NI is specking the NI ENET-9211 with 0C-55C, I am not sure if that is the box operating temperature, or the actual measurement range.

True, the display is a nice additional feature. I have used Omega temperature units in the past with an analog O/P for the temperature (0-10V) so that I had a panel meter with alarming, as well as the ability to read in the analog input into LV via a DAQ line. They were a real @#$!@#% to program though with what looked like a single 3 page manual designed to handle what looked like a hundred different flavours of the meter and 3 programming buttons.

I think the 0-55C is probably the storage or operating temperature range of the E-NET device and NOT the measurement range of an attached thermocouple. The type of thermocouple determines the temperature range (i.e J-type, K-type are the two most commonly used).

N.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Neville,

I wanted a meter that also had a display for the operator to see. That's basically why I didn't use a DAQ. Plus NI stuff is a bit pricy. wink.gif

Here's my code for the Extech meter. I've also included the protocol paper that service sent me. The only thing I found incorrect on the paper is they state thermocouple type number as K=1, J=2, etc... and I found it was K=0, J=1, etc...

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hello, I too have the Extech/Omega temp meter and can't get LV code from either of them. Would you mind sending me the code you mentioned above? I'm new to LV and use version 7.1. Thanks.

I'm trying to use the Omega HH806 - it's essentially a rebadged Extech device, so I was wondering whether I could try your Labview vi's with it.

Thanks

Jeremy

Hello, did you ever get LV code for use with the Omega HH806? I have the same unit and would appreciate a copy of usable LV code. I'm using version 7.1. Thanks.

Hello, did you ever get LV code for use with the Omega HH806? I have the same unit and would appreciate a copy of usable LV code. I'm using version 7.1. Thanks.

Pat9030, here are the VIs but they are saved in LV2009. I don't have all the version to back save down to LV7.1 If you give me your email I could send you some screen captures of the code. It's not that complicated.

Init Extech Temp Meter.vi

Read Extech Temp Meter.vi

• Like 1

Pat9030, here are the VIs but they are saved in LV2009. I don't have all the version to back save down to LV7.1 If you give me your email I could send you some screen captures of the code. It's not that complicated.

Hello, thanks for the VIs; I enabled my member email address and would appreciate any info you could send. If you still cant access my email address, its pec2315us at sbcglobal dot net (I try to avoid spam - but that's an endless battle). Regards.

• 7 years later...
On 10/19/2009 at 0:30 PM, ooth said:

Init Extech Temp Meter.vi

Read Extech Temp Meter.vi

Hello ooth, thanks a lot for providing the software.

I tried running the software, but it did not work

I have the protocol that I received from Omega, I could not attach to this post, but you can find it here: Protocol

Would you mind helping me on this issue, please?

Antonio

Error.pdf

Edited by adammaro

Hi,

First, I would not use the VIs I made before since they were formatted just for that meter's protocol. I built a VI based on the protocol you supplied. It takes a command string (ex. #0A0616N), calculates the checksum, and then sends the command. I didn't parse the return message but you can do that based on which kind of command you send. The VI is saved with LV 2012.

Good Luck

Omega.vi

• 4 months later...
On 19/09/2017 at 6:15 PM, ooth said:

Hi,

First, I would not use the VIs I made before since they were formatted just for that meter's protocol. I built a VI based on the protocol you supplied. It takes a command string (ex. #0A0616N), calculates the checksum, and then sends the command. I didn't parse the return message but you can do that based on which kind of command you send. The VI is saved with LV 2012.

Good Luck

Omega.vi

Hello ooth, you are star :-) Thanks so much for putting together the code in LV, It must be a plain game for you, but not for me :-)

I tried the code, using the first command from the protocol:

#LLIDCHR250D0A For model name, where

'#LLIDCHR' is in the protocol

'25' is the check sum calculated via your VI

'0D0A' is the ending character

I receive an error just after the writing operation on the vi: Error -1073807246 occured at VISA Write, VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0072) The resource is valid, but VISA cannot currently access it.

Could you help on this, I guess it's a stupid/newbie mistake.

Cheers,

Antonio

Error_Omega_VI.PNG

That error code says, "VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0072) The resource is valid, but VISA cannot currently access it."

I would think that another program has control of that comm port. Make sure all the other programs are closed and then run the LabVIEW VI. You might have to close and re-open LabVIEW after you closed the other programs.

21 hours ago, ooth said:

That error code says, "VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0072) The resource is valid, but VISA cannot currently access it."

I would think that another program has control of that comm port. Make sure all the other programs are closed and then run the LabVIEW VI. You might have to close and re-open LabVIEW after you closed the other programs.

Hello ooth,

thanks a lot for your reply, if you happen to be in UK, I'd offer you a pint :-)

The error was actually due to conflicting VISA (I installed Agilent VISA driver and that completely corrupted all the other VISA). That's been sorted :-)

At the moment, I tried running the system, but it comes always with no byte at the port and no outcome. If you have any idea on how to solve this, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Antonio

Omega_vi_problem.PNG

Sometimes I do make it to UK, but not so far this year.

My suggestion would be to turn on Highlight Execution and run the VI. Check if an error occurs out of any of the VISA VIs.

Now if that doesn't help I would:

1. Open NI MAX

2. Right click on the ASRL4::INSTR resource and select Open VISA Test Panel

3. Select the Input/output tab

4. Try sending the default message of *IDN?\n by clicking the Query button.

I first get the instrument to respond to the IDN cmd using MAX before I start programming a VI. This tells me the connection is good. 

15 hours ago, ooth said:

Sometimes I do make it to UK, but not so far this year.

My suggestion would be to turn on Highlight Execution and run the VI. Check if an error occurs out of any of the VISA VIs.

Now if that doesn't help I would:

1. Open NI MAX

2. Right click on the ASRL4::INSTR resource and select Open VISA Test Panel

3. Select the Input/output tab

4. Try sending the default message of *IDN?\n by clicking the Query button.

I first get the instrument to respond to the IDN cmd using MAX before I start programming a VI. This tells me the connection is good. 

Hello ooth,

let me know when you'll be in UK, I live near London ;-)

I highlighted execution, but no error came up.

I changed the configuration from the standard and then I have tried using the Query button, and it comes with another error.

I am not sure the Query command is in the manual of this device.

Thanks so much for your help!

Antonio

Omega_vi_problem.PNG

Edited by adammaro

Antonio,

You are correct that it probably doesn't respond to the IDN? cmd since it wasn't listed in the document. So I would suggest to try the first cmd "Model name code access".

So change the cmd to #0A0000RA60D0A (this is taken from 2. Model name code access under Ex)

Also be sure to change the comm setting per the document 19200,E,8,1