Internet access in startup up of built application

I have a built application (now v8.6) that I have deployed in prior LV versions back to v5x). A recent change has occurred in the behavior of the built EXE (called app.exe in this note) and that involves internal access upon startup of app.exe. This occurs in XP and Vista. What happens now (and what did NOT happen before) is that, if there is an currently active internet connection, app.exe pops-up a dialogue box concerning accessing a specific site. Now the pop-up box is correct behavior in that the particular site named as the URL is login and password protected; but this behavior (ie requesting login and password) should ONLY happen when the user specifically invokes the function to navigate to that site. That is the behavior that was present in ALL previous deployed versions.

Nothing has changed in that portion of the code in which the internet access subs are located. Nothing has changed in terms of the startup items specified in app.ini.

I have even tried (based on another note I saw on an NI-forum) to include the following two lines in app.ini:

DNSLookupEnabled=FALSE

servertcp.enabled=FALSE

These lines make no difference.

I guess I should add for clarity that I am not trying to remotely monitor or control app.exe and it doesn't remotely control or monitor any other application. All I want is to have a manually invocable internet gateway, one option of which directs the browser to a specific login and password protected site, the other of which directs to google search. The behavior of the previously code has changed and the only relevant change I'm aware of related to that code is the transition from prior versions of LV to LV8.6.

Any suggestions?

QUOTE (Val Brown @ Oct 12 2008, 03:09 PM)

I have a built application (now v8.6) that I have deployed in prior LV versions back to v5x).

I'm not aware of any such changes in 8.6, but then again, I don't know your code. There may have been a difference when you upgraded (LabVIEw may have automatically changed some of your code to make it compliant or to attempt to mimick the functionality of a previous version). Have you actually looked at the upgraded code to see if there was an automatic change made? (such changes are usually listed in the mass compile or re-compile log that you see). Can you upload the code so we can take a look? Otherwise, I don't think I can help...

QUOTE (crelf @ Oct 12 2008, 04:53 PM)

I'm not aware of any such changes in 8.6, but then again, I don't know your code. There may have been a difference when you upgraded (LabVIEw may have automatically changed some of your code to make it compliant or to attempt to mimick the functionality of a previous version). Have you actually looked at the upgraded code to see if there was an automatic change made? (such changes are usually listed in the mass compile or re-compile log that you see). Can you upload the code so we can take a look? Otherwise, I don't think I can help...

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have checked the upgrade logs, etc and didn't see any specific reference to the code. This module is actually a slight variation on the Call Back example that I believe still ships with LV.

Well I COULD post the code but I'm not quite seeing how to attach anything to this post. Below and to the left of this text box I'm writing in is an area that says "Attachments" and even "Select a File" but nothing happens when I click anywhere in that area.

Perhaps I'm not quite doing the right thing here???

QUOTE (Val Brown @ Oct 12 2008, 08:32 PM)

Well I COULD post the code but I'm not quite seeing how to attach anything to this post. Below and to the left of this text box I'm writing in is an area that says "Attachments" and even "Select a File" but nothing happens when I click anywhere in that area.

Click "Browse...", select the file, then click "UPLOAD".

QUOTE (Val Brown @ Oct 13 2008, 04:28 AM)

OK, I think this will do it. I've attached the LLB that contains a top level "A web browser for NCP run.vi" which has the involved ActiveX Object (viz WebBrowser2).

The strange thing is that it happens as soon as the VI is openend. Even before running, so the pop-up originates from the ActiveX box.

Maybe you can tweak something there?

Ton

QUOTE (Ton @ Oct 12 2008, 11:25 PM)

The strange thing is that it happens as soon as the VI is openend. Even before running, so the pop-up originates from the ActiveX box.

Maybe you can tweak something there?

Ton

Yes, it is strange and I've tried everything that I could think of to tweak it but still get the same results.

QUOTE (Val Brown @ Oct 13 2008, 02:41 AM)

Yes, it is strange and I've tried everything that I could think of to tweak it but still get the same results.

I've seen this behavior before. For some reason the WebBrowser2 component remembers the most recent location and attempts to navigate to it the next time the VI is opened. Worse, it's difficult to change this URL because as far as I can tell the location only saves when you save some other change to the VI. Try this: force the web browser to connect to about:blank when the VI ends, make another trivial change to the VI, then save it.

QUOTE (ned @ Oct 13 2008, 06:42 AM)

I've seen this behavior before. For some reason the WebBrowser2 component remembers the most recent location and attempts to navigate to it the next time the VI is opened. Worse, it's difficult to change this URL because as far as I can tell the location only saves when you save some other change to the VI. Try this: force the web browser to connect to about:blank when the VI ends, make another trivial change to the VI, then save it.

OK, I'll give that a try.