How to lock down a completed VI so it can't be modified?

QUOTE (km4hr @ Oct 16 2008, 11:44 AM)

Aspiring labview programmer wants to know how to turn a completed VI into an application that can be run by others without leaving it wide open to modification. Is this possible? Is there an "execute-only" mode?

km4hr

If you turn the VI's into an application (e.g. build an executable) they :ninja: won't be able to get at the code.

QUOTE (km4hr @ Oct 16 2008, 09:26 PM)

How is this done? Where do I go to find out?

I looked around a bit and the best I can tell this requires optional (ie expensive) software. Is that correct?

The application builder is included in the professional version and dev suite otherwise it is an add-on.

Log onto ni.com for prices in your area.

QUOTE (jgcode @ Oct 16 2008, 09:40 AM)

The application builder is included in the professional version and dev suite otherwise it is an add-on.

Log onto ni.com for prices in your area.

I work for a university so perhaps I have it already. How would I know? I'll check with our license coordinator.

Thank you all for helping this newbie (1 week experience) with what may seem like trivial questions. I hope to get beyond the struggling stage shortly.

thanks

QUOTE (km4hr @ Oct 16 2008, 11:19 AM)

I work for a university so perhaps I have it already. How would I know? I'll check with our license coordinator.

Thank you all for helping this newbie (1 week experience) with what may seem like trivial questions. I hope to get beyond the struggling stage shortly.

thanks

You can create a new LabVIEW project (File>>New Project...) which will have a Build Specification node. When you right-click on it, you will see a list of build types you can create. If the application builder is present/licensed, you will see an option - Application. You can get more help regarding build specifications by selecting Help in the right-click menu.

QUOTE (km4hr @ Oct 15 2008, 10:44 PM)

Aspiring labview programmer wants to know how to turn a completed VI into an application that can be run by others without leaving it wide open to modification. Is this possible? Is there an "execute-only" mode?

km4hr

ForCryinOutLoud! WTH are we doing here, guys? It's LabVIEW, not "labview". And if KM4HR wants to "protect" precious intellectual property ... :o ... just tell him/her to save their code onto their own personal thumbdrive.

What are we doing here?? And why do I keep coming here?? :blink:

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Oct 17 2008, 10:23 AM)

ForCryinOutLoud! WTH are we doing here, guys? It's LabVIEW, not "labview". And if KM4HR wants to "protect" precious intellectual property ... :o ... just tell him/her to save their code onto their own personal thumbdrive.

What are we doing here?? And why do I keep coming here?? :blink:

Now that's one way to stop the growth and decrease the reputation of an open forum such as LAVA:

Telling people they aren't good enough to be given a correct answer to a legitimate question, even after that person explicitly said they are a newbie and have thanked previous posters for their constructive comments.

Way to go!

<edit>

I actually do not have a problem with people having an opinion like the above - as everyone is entitled to one.

I just see how it was helpful to the issue at hand (or the community as a whole) in any way, shape or form, to actually go ahead and post it.

</edit>

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Oct 16 2008, 09:23 PM)

IP security is not my goal. I'm building a LabVIEW application that will be used by students at the university where I work as undergraduate lab manager.

The students will take apart (ie break) any LabVIEW application I create if it's easy to do so. I just want to reduce the chaos by making it a little harder for students to modify my work.

jgcode,

Thanks for your support. I've used enough forums to realize that there will always be a few paulg's around. It's no big deal. The vast majority of LAVA posters are very generous with their knowledge.

thanks again,

km4hr

QUOTE (jgcode @ Oct 17 2008, 01:36 AM)

Now that's one way to stop the growth and decrease the reputation of an open forum such as LAVA:

Telling people they aren't good enough to be given a correct answer to a legitimate question, even after that person explicitly said they are a newbie and have thanked previous posters for their constructive comments.

Way to go!

<edit>

I actually do not have a problem with people having an opinion like the above - as everyone is entitled to one.

I just see how it was helpful to the issue at hand (or the community as a whole) in any way, shape or form, to actually go ahead and post it.

</edit>

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Oct 16 2008, 06:23 PM)

I couldn't help but point out that it's km4hr not "KM4HR". :D I hope today is going better for you PaulG.

QUOTE (km4hr @ Oct 17 2008, 10:22 AM)

The students will take apart (ie break) any LabVIEW application I create if it's easy to do so. I just want to reduce the chaos by making it a little harder for students to modify my work.

Ah... I can tell you that researchers will do the same thing, not only students!

I'd keep a copy of the original code in a Code Repository on a separate disk, and use passwords to protect the diagram from tempering.

QUOTE (km4hr @ Oct 17 2008, 10:22 AM)

IP security is not my goal. I'm building a LabVIEW application that will be used by students at the university where I work as undergraduate lab manager.

jgcode,

Thanks for your support. I've used enough forums to realize that there will always be a few paulg's around. It's no big deal. The vast majority of LAVA posters are very generous with their knowledge.

thanks again,

km4hr

I screwed up. Big time. I won't apologize for what I said, but all of you could have done without my sarcasm and the ugly way I said it. I was tired and grumpy, but that is no excuse for the lack of respect I showed all of you, especially you, km4hr. For that I sincerely apologize for the way I said it and ask for yours and everyone else's forgiveness.

What I meant to say:

Password-locked LV code is real pet peeve of mine. Unless you intend to sell your source code as "intellectual property" passwords are almost always a very bad idea. The code you lock with a password invariably is the code someone else will inherit and maintain. Years ago I inherited a huge application where numerous, critical sub-VI's were password-protected. Just a few weeks ago I wanted to look at that code in my archives to help me with an issue I was dealing with at the time. Lo and behold I had forgotten the password. If you are concerned with someone messing around with your code you have far more serious issues in your working environment and a password would be nothing more than a Band-Aid. Regarding a thumb drive: everything I do I save to my thumb drive at the end of every single day. Its main purpose is to take my work home, but also, if someone changes my code I always have my version ready to replace it.

QUOTE (crelf @ Oct 18 2008, 03:08 PM)

I'm on a team of developers that doesn't use SCC, but I use Tortoise SVN for my work. My question is not how this will benefit me, but whether my experience with it will help when I sit for the CLA exam (someday, perhaps next year, not sure when, not nearly ready...). The stuff I read from NI mentions $oftware that I don't have.

Thanks,

Jim

QUOTE (jcarmody @ Oct 20 2008, 06:09 AM)

Is there an excuse for not using SCC? You're on a team - do you share any code? How do they control versioning, rollback to previous versions, etc? Make the, at the very least, read this.

QUOTE (jcarmody @ Oct 20 2008, 06:09 AM)

My question is not how this will benefit me, but whether my experience with it will help when I sit for the CLA exam

Yes - having SCC exoerience will help you with the CLA.

QUOTE (jcarmody @ Oct 20 2008, 05:09 AM)

The stuff I read from NI mentions $oftware that I don't have.

I believe Perforce (the tool NI claims to use internally) is free for 1-2 seats used non-commercially. I have yet to take the CLA (I'm taking the CLD on the 31st), but I'd be surprised if the test required in-depth knowledge of a specific SCC tool.

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Oct 18 2008, 11:26 AM)

I sincerely apologize...

Regarding a thumb drive...

I figured you must just be having a bad day because your reply seemed a bit out of character. :thumbup:

As for the thumb drive - I strongly recommend that you not rely on this as the only form of backup you employ. Others have mentioned SCC, which is ideal, but even if you think that is overkill don't rely on just a thumb drive. I have seen those things corrupt data so many times I would never rely on them as my backup plan.

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Oct 18 2008, 02:26 PM)

I screwed up. Big time. I won't apologize for what I said, but all of you could have done without my sarcasm and the ugly way I said it. I was tired and grumpy, but that is no excuse for the lack of respect I showed all of you, especially you, km4hr. For that I sincerely apologize for the way I said it and ask for yours and everyone else's forgiveness.

What I meant to say:

Password-locked LV code is real pet peeve of mine. Unless you intend to sell your source code as "intellectual property" passwords are almost always a very bad idea. The code you lock with a password invariably is the code someone else will inherit and maintain. Years ago I inherited a huge application where numerous, critical sub-VI's were password-protected. Just a few weeks ago I wanted to look at that code in my archives to help me with an issue I was dealing with at the time. Lo and behold I had forgotten the password. If you are concerned with someone messing around with your code you have far more serious issues in your working environment and a password would be nothing more than a Band-Aid. Regarding a thumb drive: everything I do I save to my thumb drive at the end of every single day. Its main purpose is to take my work home, but also, if someone changes my code I always have my version ready to replace it.

Everything is fine, PaulG. Glad you cleared that up. I know the feeling. I said something once that didn't come out right :headbang: Been there, done that.

Hear yea, everyone! PaulG is a nice guy that stands firm on his convictions!

km4hr