Custom error codes

Hi All,

Liking the look of the new site! I hope people are going to come flooding back here now its up and running again!

So, my problem - I want to define a custom error code file which is specific to a new project we're starting. The project is technically "multidevelopper" so I want everyone to have access to the latest version. We already use SVN for this project in terms of source control. But the problem is how do I deal with the error code file? If it's just in the project and project's directory (so as to be included in the SVN "stuff"), labview doesn't see it - as it only seems to look in the userlib folder... But I don't want to have to SVN the userlib particularly as this is project specific...

Is there a way to get labview to check the current project directory for error files when I run a VI from the project?

Any other possible solutions?

Cheers in advance!

Paul

(By the way I did post this question on NI.COM here as I didn't realise this place was back on line!

Cheers!

Hi All,

I want to define a custom error code file which is specific to a new project we're starting.

Is there a way to get labview to check the current project directory for error files when I run a VI from the project?

(By the way I did post this question on NI.COM here as I didn't realise this place was back on line!

As far as I know there is no way to specify a specific error file for a specific project unless you write your own code to make it happen. This would be a good feature suggestion though.

-Toby

But I don't want to have to SVN the userlib particularly as this is project specific...
A ) Don't put the entire user.lib dir under source code control. Most SCC tools allow you to put a single file under control. That single file could be your *-errors.txt files.
As far as I know there is no way to specify a specific error file for a specific project unless you write your own code to make it happen. This would be a good feature suggestion though.
B ) There is only a single error code database in LV's memory. Because the error code cluster is not application instance specific, we cannot know which app instance originated a given error, so all error codes are looked up in the same database. Thus having separate *-errors.txt files per project is kind of misleading because even after a project leaves memory, its error codes would have to stay in memory. So all the error codes from users are expected to be in user.lib. Going further, if you open a VI outside of a project, LV's general goal is that its functionality on the desktop should be the same as if you open it inside a project (some shared variable functionality is the glaring exception here). If the error codes became undefined when you opened the VI directly, I would see that as a problem.
  • Like 1