Contoller level Redundancy using cRIO 9144

vronto31

Hello,

I want to implement controller level redundancy in a cRIO based system.

I am considering cRIO 9144 as base chassis, connected to 2 cRIO controllers over ethernet/ethercat. So that if one controller fails, other one could take over. I have seen daisy chaining in this tutorial

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/7400

but want to know if redundancy can also be implemented.

Thanks

Vinamra

QUOTE (vronto31 @ Nov 3 2008, 04:01 PM)

I implemented redundant comms for dual-NOEs on a PLC network with cFP using modbus.

Around that time I was searching the topic of redundancy for cFP and found a bunch of KB's on NI website

Check here, here and here for a start

I have been using the cFP-2220 lately which have the dual-ethernet.

More so for a private network than redundancy. I really like these units (they have a meater processor, usb, dual ethernet).

I was told by an NI FSE that the first dual-ethernet cFP were custom designed for a large job that required network redundancy on a single controller.

Anyways, the KB you are referencing is actually using a "dumb" gate-way type setup where there are no controllers on those other chassis'.

They are daisy chained to expand the IO off of one controller, not for redundancy.

But you should be able to setup redundancy in a similar manner - just a note that you have to run the secondary port off a different subnet to the primary.