Backup Utility, Software, Method, etc

ASTDan

QUOTE (ASTDan @ Jan 4 2009, 12:46 PM)

Whew! Imagine what would have happend if you hadn't been able to get your data back. On second thought, don't imagine that :unsure:

QUOTE (ASTDan @ Jan 4 2009, 12:46 PM)

What I learned is to have a backup strategy while traveling.

Yeah - we have offsite backups at work. Whenever we're on the VPN, it acts as though we're in the office, so automated scheduled back-ups still happen in the background, and we have access to SVN for our SCC seamlessly. If there is no (or poor) internet connection, then it depends on how long we're going to be out of range: if it's a short time then we use the same external hardware approach, but if it's a long time (especially if there are multiple developers) then we can take a standalone PC with us to act as a daughter SVN server (or we can designate an engineer's laptop to take on this task). Then we can either snyc the repositories at night when the link speed is usually better (and when we don't have to wait aronud), or sync it when we get back to the office. The possibilities are many :)

Anyway - I'm glad to hear that you survived the crash with little pain :thumbup:

QUOTE (MJE @ Dec 1 2008, 09:44 PM)

I disagree with your comment "fireproof nonsense" my company has developed a true Fireproof Backup Hard Drive called ProtectItSafe, http://www.protectitsafe.com This has been tested within a fire for 2 hours averageing 720 deg C peaking at 835 Deg C. The Hard Drive peak temperature was 68 Deg C and all data was protected without using an expensive Data Recovery system.

I assure you a True Fireproof Backup system does exist and is available worldwide.

QUOTE (crelf @ Jan 4 2009, 01:30 PM)

Whew! Imagine what would have happend if you hadn't been able to get your data back. On second thought, don't imagine that :unsure:

I did imagine. Lots of swear words and violent fist shaking came to mind. :angry:

Anyway - I'm glad to hear that you survived the crash with little pain :thumbup:

Thanks! I don't want to go through it again. Surprisingly it took longer to figure out what was wrong with my computer than to recover. I have a Dell and it comes with a diagnostic CD. What a great tool! Of course I didn't know about this at first so I had to spend a few days wondering what was going on.

How do you all feel about online services that hold on to your backups for you? It's true that it's a convenient method of off-site-ing, but just how secure is it? How comfortable are you using it? Ten years ago, uploading all your personal files to another party online was considered madness due to the (perhaps irrational) concerns over security, so what's changed in our psychies that have made this more acceptable?

QUOTE (crelf @ Jan 4 2009, 05:22 PM)

How do you all feel about online services that hold on to your backups for you? It's true that it's a convenient method of off-site-ing, but just how secure is it? How comfortable are you using it? Ten years ago, uploading all your personal files to another party online was considered madness due to the (perhaps irrational) concerns over security, so what's changed in our psychies that have made this more acceptable?

I still think it's madness and don't use such services but, then again, maybe I'm just really old school.

A useful piece of software I use is DriveImage XML It's free and it supports imaging a windows hard drive, when logged into windows. It "Locks" your files while making an image. This is useful for me so I don't have to reboot into a live OS from a CD and image the hard drive. It also is a more open standard so it "allow(s) you to process them with 3rd party tools".The one thing the software doesn't have (that other imaging software does) is incremental backup, so I just keep the most recent 2 or 3 images instead, and delete older ones.

So I was poking around looking at more backup options and I came across this.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...7&CatId=207

It is NAS (Network Attached Storage). 1TB of storage with 2 RAID drives, automatic backup, plus I and other people can access my data from the internet. :blink: This looks a lot easier to set up than a traditional server, and some of these are around $150!

This looks to good to be true.

Has anyone had any experience with NAS?

Thanks

Dan