Embedded XP

jgcode

Is anyone using Windows Embedded XP on TPC development?

And can comment on the pros/cons including differences wrt Windows CE & using NI Touch Panel Module - especially graphics?

KB, KB, Dark Side Forum

I am interested to know the differences as the TP Module and Windows CE can be a pig to program compared to standard LabVIEW and Windows XP - don't take my word - go ahead try it :)

[Cross Post]

QUOTE (jgcode @ Nov 6 2008, 11:35 PM)

Is anyone using Windows Embedded XP on TPC development?

And can comment on the pros/cons including differences wrt Windows CE & using NI Touch Panel Module - especially graphics?

KB, KB, Dark Side Forum

I am interested to know the differences as the TP Module and Windows CE can be a pig to program compared to standard LabVIEW and Windows XP - don't take my word - go ahead try it :)

[Cross Post]

I've used WinXPE on a TPC with great success. I used an Advantech panel (TPC-1261) with a pre-configured distribution of WinXPE. We loaded up VISA run time and the LV run time and ran our application with no issues. We did start out using a panel with Windows CE and the TP module, but it was full of bugs and other issues.

QUOTE (Vinny @ Nov 8 2008, 11:32 AM)

I've used WinXPE on a TPC with great success. I used an Advantech panel (TPC-1261) with a pre-configured distribution of WinXPE. We loaded up VISA run time and the LV run time and ran our application with no issues. We did start out using a panel with Windows CE and the TP module, but it was full of bugs and other issues.

Thanks Vinny.

I have done some sub-par GUIs on the TPC-2012 due to bugs, issues and general restrictions of using WindowsCE.

Since you have experience in both, is there a huge improvement over on screen graphics and general performance?

QUOTE (jgcode @ Nov 7 2008, 11:23 PM)

Thanks Vinny.

I have done some sub-par GUIs on the TPC-2012 due to bugs, issues and general restrictions of using WindowsCE.

Since you have experience in both, is there a huge improvement over on screen graphics and general performance?

From a LV development standpoint I found working with WinXPE was identical to working on standard XP. I did not experience any performance issues either, but the application was not very resource intensive.

QUOTE (Vinny @ Nov 9 2008, 02:02 AM)

From a LV development standpoint I found working with WinXPE was identical to working on standard XP. I did not experience any performance issues either, but the application was not very resource intensive.

Thanks mate :beer:

Time to get one methinks.

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (Vinny @ Nov 8 2008, 12:02 PM)

Does anyone know if LV7.11 works on XP Embedded?

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (Gary Rubin @ Nov 21 2008, 10:45 AM)

Does anyone know if LV7.11 works on XP Embedded?

Not sure why it shouldn't and I think some collegues did that in the past. LabVIEW 7 for sure does run on XP and so should run on XPE too, provided you install a little more than the most basic XPE modules.

Rolf Kalbermatter

• 2 years later...

On the same topic, I am planning to install an application acquiring data with

• NI-Scope (via USB)
  • Can use either LV 8.5.1, 8.6, 2009 SP1 or 2010 SP1 for this
  • a PanelPC (x86)
  • running XP Embedded.

As per NI site it seems that one needs to get the LabVIEW Touch Panel Module for this... My Panel PC is equipped with a x86 processor... I don't really see why one should buy the TP Module, which is said to support XPe... I have seen many posts where standard LabVIEW works fine. Can anyone comments on this please, and may have some insighs on running LV on XPe? Thx.

Laurent.

Edited by laurentm