Reading Processor Temperature on ETS System

Neville D

I would like to read the processor temperature on a desktop system setup as an RT target. I have explored NI's links on measuring temperature with PXI 818x/819x RT systems (based on a single-core Pentium M), and their new System Monitor API for Dual Core PXI-RT's and PXI chassis.

Unfortunately neither of these work for the Quad-Core system I have. Trolling on the internet, I found that reading the CPU temperature is a matter of reading a Model Specific register (MSR) on the chip.

A colleague gave me the following assembly code snippet that should work:

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// RDMSR//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////__declspec(naked) void Ring0ReadMSR(){_asm{rdmsrmov [ebx],eaxmov [edi],edxretf}} //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// WRMSR//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////__declspec(naked) void Ring0WriteMSR(){_asm{mov eax,[ebx]mov edx,[edi]wrmsrretf}}

There are other freeware apps that can read temperatures, and fanspeeds for desktops in Windows, but note that I would like to do this in LabVIEW-RT.

I'm thinking I need to write a simple dll that works in Windows using CVI and then translate that over to RT after testing for RT compatibility with some NI tools to make sure that dll will work on RT.

But I have no idea how to start..

Any pointers/tips?

Neville.

Any luck yet?

My only thought was the NI System Monitor, but you have already linked that in your post.

Iam interested as I would like to monitor the CPU temp on some 8175 controllers, in order to keep an eye on the system health and I ran into the same problem. But I have been way too lazy to chase it up any further.

QUOTE (Maca @ Nov 11 2008, 05:42 AM)

Any luck yet?

My only thought was the NI System Monitor, but you have already linked that in your post.

Iam interested as I would like to monitor the CPU temp on some 8175 controllers, in order to keep an eye on the system health and I ran into the same problem. But I have been way too lazy to chase it up any further.

Nope, but the 8175 is a really old controller.. have you tried the code for the 8187 using nismbus drivers? That might work. Be sure to follow the convoluted instructions to the letter, though..

N.