Openening the VI Properties takes a long long time

QUOTE (Milchbilch @ Nov 17 2008, 12:29 PM)

When I try to open VI property dialog (from frontpanel or diagram) it takes up to one minute for the dialog to appear!

So when I want to change the VI execution mode e.g. I can right click the icon, select properties and then get ma a pot of coffee before I can change anything. Can anybody else repoproduce this problem?

Yes. Maybe not so long as in your case but it also takes considerably long time for me - from few to even 15-20 seconds, and I couldn't find what it is dependent on.

QUOTE (vugie @ Nov 17 2008, 09:17 AM)

Yes. Maybe not so long as in your case but it also takes considerably long time for me - from few to even 15-20 seconds, and I couldn't find what it is dependent on.

a) What version of LV are you using?

b) Does it only do it the first time you launch VI Prop dialog in a given run of LV or is it everytime you launch the dialog?

QUOTE (Aristos Queue @ Nov 17 2008, 10:12 PM)

a) What version of LV are you using?

b) Does it only do it the first time you launch VI Prop dialog in a given run of LV or is it everytime you launch the dialog?

a) as in profile - 8.2.1

b) first time after bringing VI to front is often longer, but it is not a strict rule. Restarting LV does not change it in statistically meaningful way. I only see it correlates with project size - for very small projects launching dialog is faster - however still not as fast as I would expect from relatively simple dialog (at least visually :) )

QUOTE (gmart @ Nov 17 2008, 10:59 PM)

Check for any network printers that can no longer be accessed. LabVIEW looks up printer settings when the VI Properties dialog comes up. If a network printer is no longer accessible, then the dialog times could take while before it times out.

Brilliant! It is enough to chenge the printer in Page Setup to something local and Properties dialog brings up immidiately! Why I didn't know about it month ago when I had to update documentation of 100+ VIs...

• 1 month later...

QUOTE (vugie @ Nov 17 2008, 05:42 PM)

Brilliant! It is enough to chenge the printer in Page Setup to something local and Properties dialog brings up immidiately! Why I didn't know about it month ago when I had to update documentation of 100+ VIs...

You didn't search good enough. It is documented in a few posts at least on forums.ni.com but probably even here, and quite a few times on old Info-LabVIEW although that may be a bit harder to search nowadays.

It is an issue as far back as I can remember (LabVIEW 3.x or so).

Rolf Kalbermatter

Learn something new every time I read LAVA. I set my default to a local driver (Microsoft XPS) since I never print from the dev env in LV. Now the dialog open in a second instead of 10-20 seconds.

Who says olds dogs can't learn new tricks. Now if only that info was in the LV help somewhere, not that anyone can find anything in there...

• 1 month later...

QUOTE (rolfk @ Dec 27 2008, 10:51 AM)

You didn't search good enough. It is documented in a few posts at least on forums.ni.com but probably even here, and quite a few times on old Info-LabVIEW although that may be a bit harder to search nowadays.

It is an issue as far back as I can remember (LabVIEW 3.x or so).

Rolf Kalbermatter

OK, this explains quite a bit. I have been running into this issue with several versions of LabVIEW and this is a REALLY annoying behavior. Is there some work around besides deleting the printers? I have multiple printers on my computer and they are not always available however they must be there. I test network connectivity on printers. So I am constantly waiting for the properties dialog box to come up. Can I disable this check? Removing and re-adding printers constantly is not an option that I willing to live with. I also don't like waiting forever for a properties diablog box to come op. It is interesting that I have mentioned this several times to NI support people and not a single one knew about this.

QUOTE (Phillip Brooks @ Feb 24 2009, 01:36 PM)

You could install a generic printer or a PDF printer driver and make this your default printer.

I suppose I could but to me this is a problem with NI and LabVIEW. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to be able to open up the properties dialog box quickly. I am on a corporate network and my default printer is a printer that I use. I shoudln't have to reconfigure my system all the time or create dummy printers as my default and then have to manually select my printer each time I need to print something. Why not set up the properties dialog box to only communicate with the printer when you actually want to print, not every time the properites dialog box is opened.

Yes there are some work arounds for this issue but the point is I shouldn't need to do this. If NI has known about this since release 3.0 why hasn't something been done to fix this. This is one of the issues that falls into the "very annoying" category. These are the types of problems I try to resolve for my users. The last thing you want is an annoyed user.

QUOTE (Mark Yedinak @ Feb 24 2009, 04:58 PM)

I suppose I could but to me this is a problem with NI and LabVIEW. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to be able to open up the properties dialog box quickly. I am on a corporate network and my default printer is a printer that I use. I shoudln't have to reconfigure my system all the time or create dummy printers as my default and then have to manually select my printer each time I need to print something. Why not set up the properties dialog box to only communicate with the printer when you actually want to print, not every time the properites dialog box is opened.

Yes there are some work arounds for this issue but the point is I shouldn't need to do this. If NI has known about this since release 3.0 why hasn't something been done to fix this. This is one of the issues that falls into the "very annoying" category. These are the types of problems I try to resolve for my users. The last thing you want is an annoyed user.

Make a product suggestion at the http://digital.ni.com/applications/psc.nsf/default?OpenForm' target="_blank">Product Suggestion Center. The fact that it is there for so long (I don't think 3.0 had any printing capabilities that you could call home about so not sure it was there already :rolleyes: ) tells me however that there is probably a very fundamental problem with this that might be hard or almost impossible to remove without causing quite a bit of other problems. But I do not know the details of it, just noticed it long ago and watched my installed printers ever since if the dialog started to get slow.

Rolf Kalbermatter