How to make my default "sub vi terminal pattern"

Hi,

as we create a subvi, we should go to vi icon and right click->show connector, but the default connector is not my love, I like the other, and normally, we should change it by manual, select the other connector pattern, it is not good, as I create huge of subvis, anybody knows how to define my favor connector as the default ? thanks.

QUOTE (Norm Kirchner @ Nov 19 2008, 03:12 PM)

Alternatively you can figure out the number for the INI file by going to:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\vi.lib\_script\XML Scripting

Assuming that your LV is installed in this folder.

In this folder you can open the Strict Type Def control named: Connector Pane Types.ctl

In here you can select the pattern you want and it also shows you the magic number that you are going to

use for your labview ini file as mentioned in the previous post: defaultConPane=[number]

PS: Hope that you are not using the 4835 connector pane as your default :laugh: (28 terminals)

QUOTE (Minh Pham @ Nov 19 2008, 06:08 AM)

Alternatively you can figure out the number for the INI file by going to:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\vi.lib\_script\XML Scripting

Assuming that your LV is installed in this folder.

In this folder you can open the Strict Type Def control named: Connector Pane Types.ctl

In here you can select the pattern you want and it also shows you the magic number that you are going to

use for your labview ini file as mentioned in the previous post: defaultConPane=[number]

PS: Hope that you are not using the 4835 connector pane as your default :laugh: (28 terminals)

Thanks all you guys, it helps, nice!

QUOTE (jcarmody @ Nov 19 2008, 03:07 AM)

I've done this but I still get lousy connector panes when I Edit->Create SubVI. What have I done wrong?

The "Create SubVI" tool has been a thorn in the Edit menu for a long time now. There is no way to control the behavior of this tool, so I only use it to get a subVI started. It is often more of a pain to fix the funky connector pane, un-necessary wire bends, weirdly named labels, and general mess that this tool creates than it would be to just cut and paste the section of code you want into a new VI block diagram.

QUOTE (Ton @ Nov 19 2008, 12:00 PM)

What, you don't like 'Error out 2' on an error in terminal?

I guess two outs really do make an in... :blink:

Oh, and I just love the way it makes my wires bend to and fro on the calling block diagram... </sarcasm>

QUOTE (crelf @ Nov 19 2008, 05:31 PM)

Maybe LabVIEW should automatically run the clean-up diagram tool on VIs that are created that way...

That would (for the most part) take care of the wire bends and placement, but not the weird conpane and labels.

I think I remember a developer from NI (can't remember who) semi-apologizing to me for that tool. Something about it being written ages ago and in great need of a re-write. That was a couple years ago...

QUOTE (jcarmody @ Nov 19 2008, 05:07 AM)

QUOTE (orko @ Nov 19 2008, 12:59 PM)

It is often more of a pain to fix the funky connector pane, un-necessary wire bends, weirdly named labels, and general mess that this tool creates than it would be to just cut and paste the section of code you want into a new VI block diagram.

So do you use the Fixer or not?

Many of the complants you have stated are addressed by the fixer.

What use to take me 3 minutes in cleanup time now takes 20 seconds.

If you are not using it I would like to hear why.

Right now I'm working on modifications to it and would love to hear any feedback.

Mark

QUOTE (mballa @ Nov 21 2008, 01:00 PM)

I use it.

post-7534-1227308544.gif?width=400

This example has an enum that I'd like to wire to the top/left terminal as show, but I never want the DBL in/out to be in the bottom row. (I'd only like this arrangement if those were error clusters.) I got this using "By Arrangement".

When I used "By Pairs" I got this:

post-7534-1227308549.gif?width=400

This is closer, but it took the pairing concept too far (IMO) by putting the DBL in/out on top.

I want the "By Arrangement" front panel with the "By Pairs" terminal selection, like this:

post-7534-1227309806.gif?width=400

Jim

PS - I just noticed that the boolean indicator and DBL control were renamed.

PPS - In another "BTW", I use (and like) your icon editor...

QUOTE (mballa @ Nov 21 2008, 10:00 AM)

So do you use the Fixer or not?

Unfortunately I haven't used this tool yet. I remember seeing mention of it a while back, but for some reason never got the chance to try it out.

I'll see if I can give it a go this week.

QUOTE (jcarmody @ Nov 21 2008, 05:29 PM)

I use it.

post-7534-1227308544.gif?width=400

This example has an enum that I'd like to wire to the top/left terminal as show, but I never want the DBL in/out to be in the bottom row. (I'd only like this arrangement if those were error clusters.) I got this using "By Arrangement".

When I used "By Pairs" I got this:

post-7534-1227308549.gif?width=400

This is closer, but it took the pairing concept too far (IMO) by putting the DBL in/out on top.

I want the "By Arrangement" front panel with the "By Pairs" terminal selection, like this:

post-7534-1227309806.gif?width=400

Jim

PS - I just noticed that the boolean indicator and DBL control were renamed.

PPS - In another "BTW", I use (and like) your icon editor...

I started a series of videos to hopefully clear up any confusion.

The first video covers the wire by arrangement function.

Let me know what you think.

QUOTE (Cool-LV @ Nov 19 2008, 08:15 AM)

Thanks all you guys, it helps, nice!

Yup, that is nugget, very nice code,

and I have a trap need you help also. I open author's vi, which is "Icon_Call icon editor.vi", I can't find the central "invoke node's function(user interaction:Edite Icon)" by I left click the mouse, normally, it has "checked path", shows corresponding function,why I can't find it? I am using LV8.5, did it remove by this LV version ? if so, why remove it? this is a nice function, I lost......

QUOTE (mballa @ Nov 28 2008, 02:17 AM)

I started a series of http://forums.lavag.org/Auto-wire-FP-to-Connector-Pane-Tool-and-more-t9366.html&view=findpost&p=54874' target="_blank">videos to hopefully clear up any confusion.

The first video covers the wire by arrangement function.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Mark. I watched the video and have since had no trouble getting the connections I want. The method seemed familiar; the information must have been in another post but it didn't stick until now.