Do you get paid while LabVIEW starts up?

A twist to a Slashdot story.

But then again I do get paid while getting coffee and discussing the latest computer technology...

Lawyers.... Welcome to a tech company. (My 'booting time' 10 minutes, for booting, logging in, outlook, firefox, LabVIEW (twice sometimes)).

The bottom line is, during booting of your workplace you should get a cup of coffee (or two).

Ton

Getting paid to watch LV boot is generally not a problem unless....

You are standing in the center of a semi-circle of people watching you and you have to come up with a speach to distract them while its happening.

"This reminds me of the old days when customers used to use a CRT as the system console since using a line printer took ...."

Ben

QUOTE (neB @ Nov 19 2008, 02:54 PM)

Getting paid to watch LV boot is generally not a problem unless....

You are standing in the center of a semi-circle of people watching you and you have to come up with a speech to distract them while its happening.

"This reminds me of the old days when customers used to use a CRT as the system console since using a line printer took ...."

Ben

I make balloon animals to distract them :P

QUOTE (Phillip Brooks @ Nov 20 2008, 07:30 AM)

I make balloon animals to distract them :P

Lol,

This remind me the time I teach LabVIEW Basics and Intermediates on behalf of NI Australia. I always have to fill the SPACE/GAP with

all sort of different stories, Introduction to the topic, asking people questions etc... either it is LabVIEW starting up/restart or Signal express.

Havent got any chance for coffee during these kind of sitiuation. :unsure:

QUOTE (Minh Pham @ Nov 19 2008, 04:33 PM)

This remind me the time I teach LabVIEW Basics and Intermediates on behalf of NI Australia. I always have to fill the SPACE/GAP with all sort of different stories...

When I teach I try to remember to start LabVIEW before the class starts :)

10 minutes? I can see from a cold boot defiantly taking me that long. But I (and many other people who don't care about energy usage) just lock my computer at the end of the day Monday-Thursday. When I come in the next morning I just unlock the PC and I have outlook and firefox, and what ever versions of LabVIEW I was using, already open. I realize it's wasteful to have a 500W pc powered on all night even if it's idle, but I can't stand that long boot up time.

I've never found the LabVIEW load time to be too long, but I've never been giving a presentation and needed to launch it. Maybe then it would seem like an eternity.

QUOTE (hooovahh @ Nov 21 2008, 08:46 AM)

I realize it's wasteful to have a 500W pc powered on all night even if it's idle, but I can't stand that long boot up time.

You're despicable! I'm going to wait until you've gone home every night and turn off all your equipment from now on ...