Accessing version 5.1 files

I am disappointed that NI decided to stop opening version 5 files as of 8.5 (I think it was 8.5 when they did that). Version 5.1 is a hugely popular version.

Anyhooo. How do you "upsave" to 8.5? Lets assume you don't own / have access to an earlier version. The obvious answer is to acquire an old version of 6.x through 8.2 and open the 5.1 VI, save, as the current version, then open in 8.5, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks! :)

QUOTE (BrokenArrow @ Nov 25 2008, 07:19 AM)

How do you "upsave" to 8.5?

The only way I know to do it is with an intermediate version like you suggest. If it's small I'm sure someone here can upsave it and send it back to you or I think NI will usually hook you up with a trial license of the intermediate version of LabVIEW if you need it for the upsave.

QUOTE (TobyD @ Nov 25 2008, 10:59 AM)

The only way I know to do it is with an intermediate version like you suggest. If it's small I'm sure someone here can upsave it and send it back to you or I think NI will usually hook you up with a trial license of the intermediate version of LabVIEW if you need it for the upsave.

Good idea, the trial license. I've also been thinking of picking up an old version on eBay. The 6.1 usually goes for cheap.

This is a great community here and I know someone would upsave for me, but I don't want to give people my busy work, but more importantly, I wanted to know a good solution going forward. I could conceivably have hundreds of these to convert.

Thanks! :thumbup:

edit: Toby, your member info says you've been on LabVIEW since 2007? I'd like to nominate you for "Fastest LAVA Ever".

QUOTE (BrokenArrow @ Nov 25 2008, 09:48 AM)

Good idea, the trial license. I've also been thinking of picking up an old version on eBay. The 6.1 usually goes for cheap.

This is a great community here and I know someone would upsave for me, but I don't want to give people my busy work, but more importantly, I wanted to know a good solution going forward. I could conceivably have hundreds of these to convert.

Doesn't seem like EBay is necessary. Your local NI sales guy/tech support team wants to keep you happy. If you have a paid license, it seems like they would just give you a copy of the old Labview if you explain the problem.

QUOTE (BrokenArrow @ Nov 25 2008, 09:48 AM)

:D Thanks! I think I just caught the bug. I still don't know half as much as a lot of people here, but I really enjoy LabVIEW. I need to get into a job where I can use it a bit more aggressively.

QUOTE (jdunham @ Nov 25 2008, 10:43 AM)

Doesn't seem like EBay is necessary. Your local NI sales guy/tech support team wants to keep you happy. If you have a paid license, it seems like they would just give you a copy of the old Labview if you explain the problem.

This is likely true. I've found my local reps to be quite helpful and they could probably scrounge up a copy for you. It never hurts to ask.