Discussing Project Size

In a text-based language, you can talk about how many lines your application is. For LabVIEW, I've seen people talk about x number of VIs in a project, but I don't think that's a very accurate representation of a project's complexity - what if you happen to have 50 functional globals?

Who wants to write a tool which will count the number of wires you use? :>

QUOTE (orko @ Dec 9 2008, 03:16 PM)

That article says: "National Instruments compared the number of LabVIEW nodes used to the equivalent C SLOC and found there was roughly a one-to-one relationship between LabVIEW nodes and SLOC." That's a big call without any supporting data. I'm not saying that it's not true for a particular code size, but I'd like to see some correlational data before I'd beleive that.

PS: that article is titled "Estimating Code Complexity in LabVIEW" - IMHO, complexity and code size are two very different things. I think tying to tie SLOC to complexity is inappropriate. Complexity isn't size - it's, errrrrr, complexity.

Yep, apples and oranges... estimators who don't know anything about LabVIEW won't care though.

As far as complexity goes, it was once said to me that "complexity is a symptom of confusion, not the cause." I don't know how many times I've seen a huge, complex, beastly design reduced to beautiful, clean, precise simplicity by someone with more experience and wisdom. This is true for any language, and is one of the reasons I don't take much stock in assigning resources/value based on how large a project is estimated to be.

Big is not always better.

QUOTE (orko @ Dec 9 2008, 04:58 PM)

I don't know how many times I've seen a huge, complex, beastly design reduced to beautiful, clean, precise simplicity by someone with more experience and wisdom. This is true for any language, and is one of the reasons I don't take much stock in assigning resources/value based on how large a project is estimated to be.

PS: we have a LabVIEW complexity metric that we use too ;)