Bind RT Software to specific hardware

P. Rosegger

Hi all,

are there any possibilities to bind LabVIEW RT Software to a specific RT system (a NI-RIO rack)? We'd like to prevent our customers from using our software unlicensed by simply copying it to new NI-RIO racks. I'm thinking about something similar to the Volume Serial Number that can be accessed on Windows systems via kernel32.dll.

BTW (slightly related): I can't find the file "generateComputerID.exe" (mentioned on http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?boar...hread.id=88461) on my system (8.2). Perhaps a version issue?

Thanks in advance,

pro

QUOTE (P. Rosegger @ Dec 8 2008, 11:02 AM)

Thanks a lot for the link! Now, does anybody know how to apply that cRIO magic to a PXI system?

The same methods and code can be used on PXI and FieldPoint systems if you simply don't use the cRIO chassis and module specific functions. CRI Get cRIO Controller Info.vi can be used with any RT controller.

I wrote that example and application note and would love to hear any feedback.

QUOTE (LV_FPGA_SE @ Dec 9 2008, 03:50 AM)

I wrote that example and application note and would love to hear any feedback.

Well I have used it - and I say damn good job.

I actually integrated it into a license manager (client specification) for a third party device and am looking forward to using the NI Hardware component in an upcoming project.

The application note was really helpgul and easy to follow.

:beer: