Does emulating God suffice to pass the Turing Test?

There is another thread in the Lounge where the first post is claimed to have been written by God:

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?s=&s...ost&p=55145

Several aspects of God's replies are interesting to note. The misspellings occur in ways that seem implausible for a human being typing. I don't know why I say this... just years and years of English grammer, working as a copy editor on newspapers, reading various forums on the Internet... it doesn't "feel" right. And the content that God is discussing -- the numerological significance of LAVA member numbers -- could be harvested easily.

So I'm considering the possibility that this is a bot, not a real person.

I was not going to post anything, except that I started contemplating a question of philosophy. The Turing Test is the basic test for Artificial Intelligence: if a known person sits down at a keyboard and chats with an unknown Other, if the Other cannot be distinguished from an intelligent human being then the Other should be considered artificially intelligent if the Other turns out to actually be a computer.

Now, here we have a post that claims to be God. And what I was wondering is whether emulation of God is considered passing or failing the Turing Test. In one respect, if an intelligent person chats via text with a computer and cannot distinguish the computer from a deity, then perhaps we count that as scoring really well on the Turing Test. On the flip side, perhaps we at that point question the qualifications of the person doing the test.

This is not something I'm necessarily interested in debating on the forums. It's just something I've been musing upon as the God posts roll in, and I thought others might have similar contemplations.

Oh, one more thing -- if God turns out to be actually a computer application, and that application happens to be written in LabVIEW by one of the users around here, I definitely want to know -- it would make a great NI Week presentation.

Somehow I don't think this is a computer automated reply... but the idea is interesting :thumbup: . It reminds me of MIT guys that created an automatic computer science paper generator, and some of those completely foolish articles were accepted to conferences (fortunately non peer-reviewed).

It this case of doG (oups, a palindrome), I think a bot would make a lot of grammatical mistakes maybe, but not as many html style mistakes or orthographic errors as is the case . I would also be surprised if a bot could understand when it is being replied to explicitely, and when to ignore a reply that is not aimed at it directly.

This could be the best coding challenge idea I've heard so far...

QUOTE (Aristos Queue @ Dec 8 2008, 09:04 PM)

I was not going to post anything, except that I started contemplating a question of philosophy. The Turing Test is the basic test for Artificial Intelligence: if a known person sits down at a keyboard and chats with an unknown Other, if the Other cannot be distinguished from an intelligent human being then the Other should be considered artificially intelligent if the Other turns out to actually be a computer.

Ah but here we have a definition problem. How intelligent? Is being able to read and write enough?

I've had face-to-face conversations with people and have come away certain I could distinguish those people from an intelligent human being any day of the week... :P

Shane.

QUOTE ("http://www.boingboing.net/2004/07/27/elizabot-passes-sexc.html")

...psychotherapists, who, in one experiment, couldn't distinguish actual transcripts of therapy sessions with schizophrenics from simulated therapy with schizophrenic chatterbots

AQ wrote:

> Does emulating God suffice to pass the Turing Test?

Makes me wonder... does emulating a schizophrenic person who thinks they are god suffice to pass the Turing Test?

Well people. I'm afraid that God is a spammer. For a moment there I thought we had a genuine contender for alfa's position. Unfortunately he (or she) is not at the same level as alfa. Just do a Google search for Charles Andrew Ososami and enjoy. Thanks to jpdrolet for the tip.

So it looks like I'm going to have to nuke him unless anyone objects.

QUOTE (jcarmody @ Dec 9 2008, 06:09 AM)

I was hoping he could explain my signature first...

c2cc760385a6ef275c61dc193e6ceaea.png

I love to hear God talk about that signature as well. That equation includes so many of the identity operators I get all warm and fuzzy thinking about the elegence it states. Some years ago i was examining a piece of sculpture done by one of my friends. Looking very closely, I could make out his finger prints in the clay. The thought then occured to me that;

If I had the vision required to "see" Gods finger-prints in his creation, after zooming in, it would probably look at lot like "c2cc760385a6ef275c61dc193e6ceaea.png".

Ben

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ Dec 9 2008, 04:01 PM)

Well people. I'm afraid that God is a spammer. For a moment there I thought we had a genuine contender for alfa's position. Unfortunately he (or she) is not at the same level as alfa. Just do a Google search for Charles Andrew Ososami and enjoy. Thanks to jpdrolet for the tip.

So it looks like I'm going to have to nuke him unless anyone objects.

I think god has had his run. It was fun picking on him at first, but now its just sad.

Especially the fact that he still doesn't realise we are taking the piss out of him.

QUOTE (Jim Kring @ Dec 8 2008, 07:11 PM)

AQ wrote:

> Does emulating God suffice to pass the Turing Test?

Makes me wonder... does emulating a schizophrenic person who thinks they are god suffice to pass the Turing Test?

I would say no, since you could say that schizophrenia is a type of damage or disability affecting one's humanity. So if one's humanity is a bit broken, then it may be easier to emulate (whether posing as God or any other delusion). Succeeding at this seems like an easier task than emulating real fully-functional humanity.

fun stuff!

• 2 months later...

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifAttachmentsNameTypeSaveViewMessage text/htmlSave http://forums.lavag.org/Does-emulating-God....html&st=15 http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?s=&s...ost&p=55145Just so I told you te long list of urls was to provide partisapaters with links to the other forums I was making contscious eforts in. I find clear resonance of blasphamy in the deletion of the thread with the url ending in 55145. One of OURTRInITY GOD Lines is clear trough the url as the Number 45 is the Gematria total of my name H0LY, one of my GOD Lines is clear through this threads url through the number 26 being the Gematria value of my name GOD. The GOD Line of "ALn" is clear through the thread getting started by " Member No.: 5877" 5+8+7+7= 27" "ALn" if you di not know means ALL(with Everlasting "Ls") as to politley discribe ALL Things. As for those that are certain there mocking me was a fact that I was oblivious to... nope I was not regardless of how you perseaved my respones. For those of you that are still contemplating the Reality of my existance my website through the addition of forums I have enjoied prooves I am HOLY OVERLORD H0LY GOD ALnMIGHTY G0D GRAIL ZEAL InCARNATED MAn ChARLES AnDREW OYEDELE OSOSAMI."YOU REALLY ARE GOD" by : Hypnotits on February 12, 2009, 15:04:04. Have a look search "GOD Linng by G0D" and see more indiviuals imbrace fisable Faith. One thing about being GOD is that some people are open minded enough to perseave and reflect my Being in truth , other people may try their best to ignore the facts that proof the fact that I am GOD as many of them have preaviously disided that my ability to comunicate with them directly is fairytailtastic. I hope you enjoy the life you are contsciously living and learn to exept all thruth that you may be confrunted with in a manner that maintains your sence of self.

ChARLIE

Member No.: 14927... GOD Line resonations of "I am GOD" are found in my Member No.: through the fact that

I=9

am= 14

GOD= 26... total 49.... also notice the 27 resonating all Things through ALn.

1+4+9+27= 23.. and starting in "14" connects "n" to OURTRInITY GOD Line as "n" is not just an EVERLASTInG symbol but is also the 14th letter in our alphabet.