Boolean pattern matching, with a wildcard

crelf

OK - it's Friday afternoon and we have our office Christmas party tonight, so my brain's checked out for the day :)

Here's the issue: I get a 1D array of Booleans from an instrument, and I need to write an event to disk whenever that array matches some predefined patterns. Sounds pretty straight forward, right? Here's the twist: the predefined patterns can have a wildcard in them (the pattern is a 1D array of values that could a mixture of TRUE, FALSE or DON'T_CARE.

Here's some examples (note: the "." represents "DON'T_CARE"):

Match:

pattern = 1 0 1 0 . 0 1 0instrument = 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0

Match:

pattern = 1 0 1 0 . 0 1 0instrument = 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 0

Not A Match

pattern = 1 0 1 0 . 0 1 0instrument = 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 0

So I've implemented this quickly by converting the pattern to string of 0s, 1s and .s (TRUE to "1", FALSE to "0", and DON'T_CARE to ".") then I used the pattern match primative to see if there's a match - and it works great! The issue is that it's too slow for my application (I have up to 1000 possible patterns to match).

I thought about converting everything to Booleans, but the what do I do with the DON'T_CARE? I thought about converting everything to an I8, but I'm not sure how to pattern match that.

Anyone got any ideas? I've attached an example pattern file.

QUOTE (crelf @ Dec 12 2008, 02:28 PM)

The standard way to do that is with bitmasks.

QUOTE (crelf @ Dec 12 2008, 02:28 PM)

Match:

pattern = 1 0 1 0 . 0 1 0instrument = 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0

So in this case, your criterion consists of a mask: 1111 0111 (in other words 1 = care, 0 = don't care).

and a pattern: 1010 0010 in this case, make sure the don't care bits are also zero.

and your code looks like: (instrument AND mask) =? pattern

though it might be safer to do this (only helps if you trust the mask more than the pattern):

(instrument AND mask) =? (pattern AND mask)

Of course labview will handle integers or boolean arrays with equal aplomb.

you can use the mask with other boolean operations to test for just the zeros, or just the ones, or toggle selected digits.

Don't you guys think that converting the string to boolean array is the real bottleneck here???

All implementations of arrays/matrices and case structures will be fast enough, but I would bet that "Convert String to Byte Array" is faster than looping a string with "array subset" to extract the booleans. So if one must stream the instrument status bytes as fast as possible, then it's the string conversion that would concern me. :2cents:

QUOTE (normandinf @ Dec 13 2008, 11:42 AM)

Don't you guys think that converting the string to boolean array is the real bottleneck here???

All implementations of arrays/matrices and case structures will be fast enough, but I would bet that "Convert String to Byte Array" is faster than looping a string with "array subset" to extract the booleans. So if one must stream the instrument status bytes as fast as possible, then it's the string conversion that would concern me. :2cents:

I didn't see where anyone suggested looping a string with array subset. I'm not sure why a string would be used at all. crelf stored the patterns in a spreadsheet, but it seemed like he was doing that for lack of a better idea. Presumably the patterns would be loaded from a file just once, so speed wouldn't matter, but chris didn't really provide enough details.

The most efficient way is to store the pattern and the mask is to pack the booleans into integers. The pattern was 128 bits, so you could use four U32s for each pattern (and 4 more for the mask), but you're probably right that integers or booleans are fast enough, .