gleichman

lenovothinkpadw700ds.jpg

Lenovo’s upcoming ThinkPad W700ds

17″ WUXGA with CCFL backlight and 1920 x 1200 resolution

10.6″ WXGA with white LED backlight second display and 768 x 1280 resolution

Intel quad core processor along with NVIDIA Quadro mobile graphics cards

11lb (ouch!)

RealTechNews.com

It looks very impressive for LabVIEW/PhotoShop/CAD, but I think you would have to buy the seat next you to use it on a plane.

QUOTE (gleichman @ Dec 20 2008, 07:42 PM)

I was thinking about this after a recent business trip when I bought the smallest second monitor I could find. (I've decided I'm never traveling without it again). Of course the drawback is that you need AC power, and it got me thinking about native dual-screen laptops. I thought that they would use a hinged design so that you open the laptop with its horizontal hinge, and then a second screen would fold out with a vertical hinge, with maybe an extendable leg to stabilize it in the open position.

I guess the sliding design makes it easier to run with just one screen when necessary (like you're on an airplane or else you need more than 20min of battery life).

Cool post!

QUOTE (jdunham @ Dec 21 2008, 04:53 AM)

MiMo 740

710_730.jpg

I ordered one of these last week. I'll share what I learn when it comes in. It can be powered by USB (no extra brick/wallwart)

(This might be a cool display option for a PXI chassis if running under Windows! )

The technology is called DisplayLink. You use a driver and USB connection to drive a monitor.

Instead of carrying an actual display, you could get a USB/DVI or USB/VGA adapter and then borrow a customer or site monitor as your second display.

QUOTE (Phillip Brooks @ Dec 22 2008, 07:30 AM)

That looks pretty cool.

This is the one I got for traveling, the http://www.amazon.com/Acer-X163Wb-display-widescreen-dynamic/dp/B00154JMEK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1229961945&sr=8-1' rel='nofollow' target="_blank">Acer x163wb. It's a widescreen 1366x768, and you can get it for under $120 nowadays. I just kept the original box, which has a briefcase-style handle, and it's totally ready for travel, since it's small and light.

• 2 weeks later...