Camera trouble

Hi,

I've only ben exposed to LabView for about a year now, and it's still rather new to me. I've been put in charge of re-writing a program in LabView 7.0 and I keep running into some problems with some IMAQ1394 sub vi's. The error always reads out "Invalid Session ID". Also, I traced the error back further and it says that there is an invalid file name for the camera that I'm trying to use. I've tried researching this problem, and haven't come up with many answers. The camera ID is the same in this program as in another working program on the computer. I really could use some help trying to figure out what's going on. Thanks.

QUOTE (AZoptics @ Dec 22 2008, 12:18 PM)

Hi,

I've only ben exposed to LabView for about a year now, and it's still rather new to me. I've been put in charge of re-writing a program in LabView 7.0 and I keep running into some problems with some IMAQ1394 sub vi's. The error always reads out "Invalid Session ID". Also, I traced the error back further and it says that there is an invalid file name for the camera that I'm trying to use. I've tried researching this problem, and haven't come up with many answers. The camera ID is the same in this program as in another working program on the computer. I really could use some help trying to figure out what's going on. Thanks.

You should post some VIs or screenshots of your work for us to help.

QUOTE (crelf @ Dec 22 2008, 11:22 AM)

Have you selected a driver to be used and initialized the camera in MAX?

I don't know. The camera works just fine with another program on the same computer and both programs call the camera the exact same way and the camera is named the same, only difference is that one has just IMAQ sub vi's and the other has IMAQ1394 sub vi's. (I'm still trying to figure out exactly what is going on, this is my first big experience with labview other than "build a thermometer" on the tutorial) :unsure:

Also, when I run the program, it can't find the correct file, but the vi that I look in has no where to change the file path. (I'll try to get some screen shots up)

QUOTE (AZoptics @ Dec 22 2008, 05:36 PM)

The camera works just fine with another program on the same computer and both programs call the camera the exact same way and the camera is named the same, only difference is that one has just IMAQ sub vi's and the other has IMAQ1394 sub vi's.

It sounds like the camera hasn't been configured on one of the systems. Open Max and see if you can get an image in there.

I found MAX and found the camera in there. I can't see an image in there, however I do get images on my working program. The camera name comes up as img0 on my working problem as well as in MAX, and the camera name in the non-working program is cam0, but when I tried to change the camera name, it responded with a "bad camera file". I think I've confused myself into just playing with things and hoping they work. And I still am learning labview, so that really adds to my confusion. :wacko: Anyway, the program that I am trying to amend is a stokes vector program: the goal is to be able to have a stokes vector represented by the images taken by the camera. We have a working Muler Matrix calculating program, which I am trying to amend to use the stokes math in. The stokes program has everything that I need, but the camera does not want to be recognized. Sorry if I keep asking stupid questions, I just really know very little about labview and am trying to learn!! :P

Thanks for your help so far!!

Try some of the example programs. If they work, then make sure your code has similar constructs i.e open camera session, wire the camera (IMAQ session) to all other subVI's then close the camera session.

When you say "working program" do you mean another LV program or some other camera manufacturers' application?

Invalid session ID might occur if you are trying to use a IMAQ session value that has not been opened (or another one exists from before that has not been closed).

Post some code, its hard to diagnose otherwise.

See this.

Neville.

QUOTE (AZoptics @ Dec 23 2008, 04:43 PM)

You say that you can see the images in one app (non-firewire), but you can't see them in your firewire app - that confuses me. Is your camera a firewire camera or not? If you can't see the images in MAX then your LabVIEW application has no chance in seeing them.

QUOTE (Neville D @ Dec 23 2008, 08:20 PM)

Try some of the example programs.

That's a great suggestion - at least that will confirm if it's your the configuration (which I'm almost sure it is) or your software.

QUOTE (Neville D @ Dec 23 2008, 08:20 PM)

Post some code, its hard to diagnose otherwise.

Another great suggestion :thumbup: