Help! Recommend SCC for High School FIRST Robotics Teams?

I can't refer specifically to Mindstorms, but many people like using Subversion with TortoiseSVN as the client. It matches all your requirements (although you'll probably want to create a small document to make the setup easier for them) with the advantage of being fast for binary files (at least when you use the default checkout-update-commit model, as opposed to the lock-modify-unlock model). There are probably quite a few threads around here (and in the NI forums) discussing SCC, so you might wish to do some searching.

Note that with any SCC option, you'll probably want to get the students to use a workflow where they don't have to merge changes as this can be a pain in LabVIEW. Maybe the merge tool in newer versions helps with this, but I haven't tried it, so I can't say.

QUOTE (Tomi Maila @ Jan 3 2009, 02:33 PM)

I recommend subversion with Tortoise SVN client as Yair said. In addition I recommend googling for free subversion hosting. There are many subversion hosting providers that provide free hosting for small projects.

Tomi,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Would anyone out there (Tomi!!) be willing to donate a bit of their time to write up a quick step-by-step for high school kids to setup SCC with free hosting for LabVIEW? It doesn't have to be simplified or by any means dumbed-down, just complete.

I would be happy to create a video blog based on that document, and link back to the originator's site/blog/company, if you would like.

Thanks,

Ben

I just started using Tortoise SVN. I like it a lot.

It took me a couple days of reading the manuals, but now I have a basic understanding. I use it for all my files that need revision control not just LabVIEW and so far I am very happy.

The documentation is good and I really like the price!

Dan

QUOTE (Ben Zimmer @ Jan 4 2009, 04:50 AM)

Tomi,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Would anyone out there (Tomi!!) be willing to donate a bit of their time to write up a quick step-by-step for high school kids to setup SCC with free hosting for LabVIEW? It doesn't have to be simplified or by any means dumbed-down, just complete.

I would be happy to create a video blog based on that document, and link back to the originator's site/blog/company, if you would like.

Thanks,

Ben

Hey Ben, I might have some bandwidth for this. And as I'm starting a FIRST Lego League at my son's school in a few months, the timing is perfect!

QUOTE (Ben Zimmer @ Jan 4 2009, 01:50 PM)

Tomi,

Thanks for the suggestion....

Ben, I asked my subversion hosting company if they would be able to provide the needed free subversion hosting services to the FIRST teams. They would be happy to, but they also would like to be listed as official sponsors of the competition on the competition web page. I've not been really involved in this FIRST robotic thing in the first place. Also the official website has not been accessible for me for the last two days. Do you Ben have any resources to figure out if the subversion provider can be an official sponsor for the competition or should we look for another solution?

Tomi

QUOTE (Tomi Maila @ Jan 6 2009, 12:56 AM)

Tomi: Strange, www.usfirst.org seems down, but http://usfirst.org/default.aspx works.

They are welcome to try, but I think we should look at another solution in the short term. We're not officially affiliated with FIRST, but my guess is that this is too late in the season to get hooked up as a sponsor. FIRST might go for it next year. Further, I would also argue to the hosting company that doing it this year would give them excellent exposure to up to 1700 teams each with at least 3-4 industrial mentors. Let them do the math.

Nancy: I was going to dedicate some resources to this, but if you can do it that would be better. **grin**.

Ben

I didn't get an answer from my Subversion hosting provider yet. Anyway, I searched for free subversion hosting provider and found xp-dev.com. Below are instructions on how the teams can set up a free subversion account on xp-dev.com.

For each user who will participate the project, should do the following

- Signup for an account at XP-Dev.com

- Login to your account, a dashboard will open

- Provide the username to the team member responsible for the repository management

In addition, the repository manager should create the repository and set

other team members as the repository users

Create a team account

- Signup for an account at XP-Dev.com with
team username
not your personal user name

- Login to
team
account, a dashboard will open

From dashboard, create repository

- Click on "You have 0 Subversion Repositories" -link

- Click "Create a new repository" -link

- Give a name (FAST in this example) and click Save

- Write down the repository address similar to one below and provide it to all team developers

From dashboard, add new repository users

- Add users by clicking Add Add new permissions

- Click You have 1 Subversion Repositories link

- Click View Repository Details on repository listing

- At the bottom of the page, click Add new permissions link

- Type in another user's Username and set permission type to Write for all developers

- Click Save

In addition the subversion client such as TortoiseSVN needs to be configured.

ZITAT(Ben Zimmer @ Jan 3 2009, 05:37 AM)

Hi,

I use the services offered by http://www.origo.ethz.ch/, and I am so far very satisfied with it.

The big pluses for me:

- they also host closed source projects

- the server location ETHZ (the 'European Harvard' Eidgenössiche Technische Hochschule Zürich) should be a very reliable one...

- anf of course it's free

You might want to give it y try.

Franz

QUOTE (Tomi Maila @ Jan 7 2009, 08:02 AM)

I didn't get an answer from my Subversion hosting provider yet. Anyway, I searched for free subversion hosting provider and found xp-dev.com. Below are instructions on how the teams can set up a free subversion account on xp-dev.com.

Thanks for the tip Tomi!

I will implement that for my team!

Heiko