Need help for studying CLD, CLAD

Dear all,

After reading people's suggestion and read some material from NI, here is my conclusion and QUESTIONS. Please let me know if you have some other suggestion and answer for my question.

For CLAD,

• Study the manual,
  • Study Labview for everyone,
  • do the sample exam from NI,
  • read the NI preparation guide,
  • read the example & code in Lava

Here is my CLAD related questions,

• It seems some sample exam questions are tricky, for example whether 2 parallel running loops can pass data to each other during running. I think the answer is "NO". But I am not sure. Does any more source for me to practice?
  • As I understand the exam need me to know analog stuff and acquisition, am I correct?
  • Many nice people suggest me to read Lava, could anyone please tell me any specific sections in LAVA that I should read, for example useful reading material, takers' experience
  • Does Anyone want to give/sell his/her CLAD/CLD manual to a poor guy? (just grad., no job, using credit card to feed himself). If I get those free or low price, I will pass those stuff to other Lava people at no charge in future.

For the CLD,

• To program the exam does not need knowledge on data acquisition, active X, etc
  • The most important is style, maybe more important than a working program
  • Need document everything
  • Do all the examples and read more codes

Here is my questions for CLD

• Labview for everyone seems for entry level, does it still useful for CLD. If yes, which part should I focus on?
  • Any Labview books specificly talk about the style?
  • Any material that I can find from Lava to make me pass the exam?
  • Once again, Does Anyone want to give/sell his/her CLAD/CLD manual to a poor guy? (just grad., no job, using credit card to feed himself). If I get those free or low price, I will pass those stuff to other Lava people at no charge in future.

Thanks

Dear all,

After reading people's suggestion and read some material from NI, here is my conclusion and QUESTIONS. Please let me know if you have some other suggestion and answer for my question.

For CLAD,

• Study the manual,
  • Study Labview for everyone,
  • do the sample exam from NI,
  • read the NI preparation guide,
  • read the example & code in Lava

Here is my CLAD related questions,

• It seems some sample exam questions are tricky, for example whether 2 parallel running loops can pass data to each other during running. I think the answer is "NO". But I am not sure. Does any more source for me to practice?
  • As I understand the exam need me to know analog stuff and acquisition, am I correct?
  • Many nice people suggest me to read Lava, could anyone please tell me any specific sections in LAVA that I should read, for example useful reading material, takers' experience
  • Does Anyone want to give/sell his/her CLAD/CLD manual to a poor guy? (just grad., no job, using credit card to feed himself). If I get those free or low price, I will pass those stuff to other Lava people at no charge in future.

For the CLD,

• To program the exam does not need knowledge on data acquisition, active X, etc
  • The most important is style, maybe more important than a working program
  • Need document everything
  • Do all the examples and read more codes

Here is my questions for CLD

• Labview for everyone seems for entry level, does it still useful for CLD. If yes, which part should I focus on?
  • Any Labview books specificly talk about the style?
  • Any material that I can find from Lava to make me pass the exam?
  • Once again, Does Anyone want to give/sell his/her CLAD/CLD manual to a poor guy? (just grad., no job, using credit card to feed himself). If I get those free or low price, I will pass those stuff to other Lava people at no charge in future.

Thanks

QUOTE (zmarcoz @ Jan 3 2009, 09:34 PM)

Queues, LabVIEW 2 Style Global Variables (AKA Functional Globals), Local Variables, Global Variables

You've been using LabVIEW for 6 years?

• Once again,
    Does Anyone want to give/sell his/her CLAD/CLD manual to a poor guy?

There aren't any CLAD/CLD manuals that I know of. The best things to study are the guides that NI provides for free online. Are you refering to the LabVIEW course books?

(just grad., no job, using credit card to feed himself).

Been there. Done that. Didn't like it! Good luck.

QUOTE (gleichman @ Jan 4 2009, 03:43 AM)

Queues, LabVIEW 2 Style Global Variables (AKA Functional Globals), Local Variables, Global Variables

You've been using LabVIEW for 6 years?

I did a couple small projects using labview every year , so I am not at a professional level even using it for 6 yrs.

QUOTE (zmarcoz @ Jan 4 2009, 01:26 AM)

I did a couple small projects using labview every year , so I am not at a professional level even using it for 6 yrs.

The CLAD is supposed to show that you have a good understanding of the basics of LabVIEW and the CLD shows that you are at a professional level. Don't waste your money on the exams until your LabVIEW knowledge matches the exam. You should concentrate on learning the concepts to pass the CLAD first. LabVIEW for Everyone is a good place to start.

Be on the lookout for the NI seminars. There is usually one in the spring and the last two years they have given out $200 certificates towards training or certification. Have you looked for a LabVIEW users group in your area or spoken with your local NI sales representative? These can be good sources of assistance.

CLAD is a multiple choice exam, so be prepared to it as to other exams of that type. Pay attention to LabVIEW environment and all specific functional areas mentioned in the preparation list, you may be asked some really simple questions what you never thought about before and without LabVIEW running it is hard to guess the answers.

For the CLD my impression is the same, the style is more important. I personally paid more attention to style and documentation and then to functionality. Simple calculation - Style is 15 points, Doc is 10 points, and Functionality is 15 points. You will be very limited in time and if you concentrate on functionality first you will probably miss style and docs and fail finally.

About the style: The LabView Style Book

Your best source for exam preparation is the LabVIEW Basics 1 and LabVIEW Basics 2 manuals. If there is anyway to borrow these, do so. Pay close attention to the quiz questions at the end of each lesson. These are similar to what you might find on an exam. It's important to prep with NI material, because NI writes the exam and you want to become familiar with the terminology that they use. If you can't get the manuals, scour ni.com for study aids and the practice exams.

Best of luck!!!

I spent quite a bit of time going through the online exam. I grabbed a screenshot of each question and pasted it into a word doc - then I was able to go through each one and really understand the question/answer. In many cases I would actually code the question in LabVIEW and watch it run. This really helped in understanding auto-indexing and array manipulation. Each time you take the online exam the questions are different, so go through it a few times to get a good sample.

Unfortunately I can't find the document I created. A couple of people have asked for it. It would probably violate all sorts of copyright laws to post it here anyway.

Good Luck!

Toby

QUOTE (TobyD @ Jan 5 2009, 09:24 PM)

I spent quite a bit of time going through the online exam. I grabbed a screenshot of each question and pasted it into a word doc - then I was able to go through each one and really understand the question/answer. In many cases I would actually code the question in LabVIEW and watch it run. This really helped in understanding auto-indexing and array manipulation. Each time you take the online exam the questions are different, so go through it a few times to get a good sample.

Unfortunately I can't find the document I created. A couple of people have asked for it. It would probably violate all sorts of copyright laws to post it here anyway.

Good Luck!

Toby

Thanks Everyone

Thanks for every suggestions.

I can feel the support from all of you.

Even if I am facing many problems, I feel warm

• 4 years later...