Windows 7

jgcode

I'm sure this is just for playing around but I must say you are very bold to try to develop LabVIEW code in a beta operating system.

I would also recommend trying all the different compatibility options by going to the properties of the executable. Never used Windows 7, but Windows 2000 up to Vista has it so I would assume they didn't remove that feature.

I'm sure when Windows 7 is officially released NI will release a patch or something if the installer still doesn't work.

QUOTE (hooovahh @ Jan 9 2009, 11:23 PM)

I'm sure this is just for playing around but I must say you are very bold to try to develop LabVIEW code in a beta operating system.

Of course it is just for sh :beer: ts and giggles, but it would have been cool if it worked!

QUOTE (jgcode @ Jan 8 2009, 11:02 PM)

My LabVIEW 8.6 installer does not work with Windows 7 Beta :(

Oh great. I haven't even started working with Vista seriously and now I need to start thinking about (and avoiding) Windows 7.

I wonder if Vista will just be like Windows ME and we can all just agree to forget about it, eventually.

QUOTE (Jim Kring @ Jan 13 2009, 10:37 AM)

Oh great. I haven't even started working with Vista seriously and now I need to start thinking about (and avoiding) Windows 7.

I wonder if Vista will just be like Windows ME and we can all just agree to forget about it, eventually.

I think that is the point - MS were suprised at XP's extended lifescycle/the fact that Vista was a dud.

Therefore MS are planning to market Windows 7 at all the people still clinging onto XP and won't upgrade to VISTA.

Essentially bypassing Vista completely.

I think the Vista interface is great, but issues with UAC, driver support, overhead etc..

XP still has its place, it is lightweight and a great candidate for EEE PC's and smaller devices.

Windows 7 feels very much like Vista from the GUI perspective.

Under the hood tho it is going to need to be good to swing a lot of unhappy people.

QUOTE (Jim Kring @ Jan 12 2009, 05:37 PM)

Forget about what?

QUOTE (shoneill @ Jan 13 2009, 01:49 AM)

I feel old.

I remember when we were calling XP bloated and slow. :blink:

Shane.

Ha Ha :D . That was going to be my comment and then I saw that you beat me to it. Everyone was complaining that they lost frames per second in their games when they switched from Windows 98se to XP and that they needed twice as much memory to make things run smooth. Not to mention the 1.5 GB install size requirement :o !!!

QUOTE (jgcode @ Jan 9 2009, 03:02 AM)

It's a Beta after all! File a bug report at MS :P

QUOTE (Jim Kring @ Jan 12 2009, 09:37 PM)

I think that is what will happen eventually. However I don't think they can avoid things like UAC in Windows 7 but probably implement it a bit saner so that you won't have to click several times through a password dialog to simply install a software.

Windows 7 seems to be supposed to be the rigorously redesigned OS that Vista should have been, before they found out that doing that is going to take so long that they won't have a successor to XP for maybe 8 years but needed to get something out sooner as they were already way behind the 3 year release schedule for a new Windows version.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Yes, that's what I understand as well. In particular the File System that was supposed to be part of Vista is apparently a centerpiece of v7. Were that to happen, it would likely resolve a number of the issues plagued Vista, at least technically. Consumer confidence is a very different issue and, come to think of it, the real issue for MS was a decided lack of BUSINESS confidence in Vista.