Context Help for a VI without loading

Does anyone know if there is a vi.lib/ function, method, or property that can be accessed that will return the Context Help for a VI by file name? The file would not be loaded in memory, I want to supply the full path to the file only...

I want to create something similar to the way a project will show the Context Help for a VI when you hover over the name...

QUOTE (Phillip Brooks @ Jan 9 2009, 12:42 PM)

Does anyone know if there is a vi.lib/ function, method, or property that can be accessed that will return the Context Help for a VI by file name? The file would not be loaded in memory, I want to supply the full path to the file only...

I don't know of a way to exactly reproduce the Context Help window contents based on VI path only, but the private App methods "Get VI.Description", "Get VI.Title", and "Get VI.Icon" can get you pretty close. All of those methods take a file path input and do not require opening a VI reference.

-D

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (crelf @ Jan 9 2009, 02:33 PM)

I don't think you can get the context help window contents to update without loading the VI into memory. Here's something I used once to get the info of a subVI into the context help window:

post-181-1231529544.png?width=400

Then the context help window will update when the user mouse-overs the Boolean. It's kind-of a hick, but it worked for the situation I was in back then.

This works fairly nice. ( see picture).

I wish there was an Application method or property that would allow me to set the object of the context help so that I could specify a VI from MY tree based browser (like the Project Window does)

Product suggestion entered...

post-949-1232458056.png?width=400

QUOTE (Darren @ Jan 9 2009, 10:05 PM)

I don't know of a way to exactly reproduce the Context Help window contents based on VI path only, but the private App methods "Get VI.Description", "Get VI.Title", and "Get VI.Icon" can get you pretty close. All of those methods take a file path input and do not require opening a VI reference.

-D

Here is a VI that gets VI name, icon and description and puts these into a picture control.

I'm not sure it can be put into the help windows using functions from the Help palette or maybe by saving the picture into a file and feed the file into the windows but I think it's not really nice...

• 6 years later...