Decoding IRIB B

spsuamin

Hi Everybody

First time posting, long time LabVIEW user. I wanted to see if anybody has successfully generated code to decode and interpret IRIG-B signals. For those of you that are unfamilar here is some information on IRIG-B

http://www.irigb.com/IRIGB_standard.html

Usually the decoding of the signal takes place using hardware, however the customer has only provided the raw signal and has left the interpretation responsbility to my company.

P.S. I know there is a FPGA example at ni.com but I don't have FPGA software and so it made it difficult for me to figure out what was going on in the code.

Any information would be great. Thanks in advance

QUOTE (spsuamin @ Jan 12 2009, 11:47 AM)

Hi Everybody

First time posting, long time LabVIEW user. I wanted to see if anybody has successfully generated code to decode and interpret IRIG-B signals. For those of you that are unfamilar here is some information on IRIG-B

Usually the decoding of the signal takes place using hardware, however the customer has only provided the raw signal and has left the interpretation responsbility to my company.

P.S. I know there is a FPGA example at ni.com but I don't have FPGA software and so it made it difficult for me to figure out what was going on in the code.

I don't remember the model number but one of NI's high-end timing cards has that built-in.

Ben

What do you want from it? Are you looking to get a clock source that you can synchronize with? If so, check out NI's timing cards that can synch chassis. If you're just interested in getting some of the info from th data stream, maybe talk to NVSI - if I remember rightly, they worked on a IRIB LabVIEW toolkit a few years ago.

Check out Symmetricom. They have LabVIEW drivers for a few of their IRIG-B cards.

http://www.symmetricom.com/products/gps-so...ware-downloads/

QUOTE (spsuamin @ Jan 12 2009, 12:47 PM)

Hi Everybody

QUOTE (spsuamin @ Jan 12 2009, 10:47 AM)

Even without LV FPGA, you can use most of the FPGA example code to decode an IRIG-B signal acquired with an appropriate DIO card.

The real question is how you want to use the IRIG-B signal and information in your application. Depending on the real-time requirements of your application, decoding the signal in SW may or may not give you adequate performance, low enough jitter, etc.