cheer! CLAD 92/100, next step CLD

QUOTE (zmarcoz @ Jan 16 2009, 11:51 AM)

First of all, thanks for everyone helping me in preparation CLAD.

Next Step -- CLD

How much time do you in preparation CLD?

I am thinking to call next week and schedule the exam a month from now

What do you think ??

Depends how long you have been developing applications using the recommended design patterns and follwoing NI's style guidelines.

I know a lot of people who have been programming for many years in LabVIEW >10 years and are no way ready to take the CLD exam. They have used stacked sequence structures heavily and love to use local variables to pass data.

I think the CLAD has a 92% pass rate the CLD has I believe a 56% pass rate but keep in mind that is not first time pass that is overall pass rate.

My recommendation is to sit down and take the 3 practice exams and only allow yourself 4 hours for each. Then submit your work in a forum such as this one to get some feedback.

Another thing, at the LabVIEW developers day seminar they give away a 200 coupon for training or certification. I would look to see if they are having a developers day in your area. Last year, I took the CLAD for free then only paid 99 dollars for the CLD exam.

Next Step -- CLD

What do you think ??

Depends how long you have been developing applications using the recommended design patterns and follwoing NI's style guidelines.

I know a lot of people who have been programming for many years in LabVIEW >10 years and are no way ready to take the CLD exam. They have used stacked sequence structures heavily and love to use local variables to pass data.

I think the CLAD has a 92% pass rate the CLD has I believe a 56% pass rate but keep in mind that is not first time pass that is overall pass rate.

My recommendation is to sit down and take the 3 practice exams and only allow yourself 4 hours for each. Then submit your work in a forum such as this one to get some feedback.

Another thing, at the LabVIEW developers day seminar they give away a 200 coupon for training or certification. I would look to see if they are having a developers day in your area. Last year, I took the CLAD for free then only paid 99 dollars for the CLD exam.

QUOTE (zmarcoz @ Jan 16 2009, 08:51 AM)

Next Step -- CLD

What do you think ??

Congratulations! :thumbup:

The CLD is less about what to study and more about learning good coding style and being able to do it quickly. That only comes with practice and discipline in always following the style guidelines. Definitely get familiar with the 3 sample exams (Car Wash, Traffic Light and Security System). They are a good indicator of the difficulty level of the CLD exam and the type of problem they might ask you to solve. If you cannot comfortably complete the sample exams in 4 hours then don't waste your money on the real thing. My exam, although similar in difficulty level to the sample exams, was much longer than any of the three. It had more requirements to implement and I was barely able to finish in time.

-Toby

QUOTE (zmarcoz @ Jan 16 2009, 08:51 AM)

Next Step -- CLD

What do you think ??

Congratulations! :thumbup:

The CLD is less about what to study and more about learning good coding style and being able to do it quickly. That only comes with practice and discipline in always following the style guidelines. Definitely get familiar with the 3 sample exams (Car Wash, Traffic Light and Security System). They are a good indicator of the difficulty level of the CLD exam and the type of problem they might ask you to solve. If you cannot comfortably complete the sample exams in 4 hours then don't waste your money on the real thing. My exam, although similar in difficulty level to the sample exams, was much longer than any of the three. It had more requirements to implement and I was barely able to finish in time.

-Toby

First of all, thanks for everyone helping me in preparation CLAD. Next Step -- CLD

Congratulations on the CLAD.

Without trying to sound harsh, I suggest you stop. For the questions that you asked here to help you get through the CLAD, you're nowhere near ready for the CLD, and you won't be until you get some real professional experience with LabVIEW. I'm not trying ot be mean, but if all you're going to do is flood LAVA with "how can you help me pass my CLD" questions then you're not ready. I suggest you have a good think about why you want to be a CLD. Are you just trying to zip through them to pad your resume so you can get a LabVIEW job? That might help you get the job, but you'll find the job difficult because you only have the theory on passing an exam, not the knowledge that comes with actually working with LabVIEW. Please do post on your motivation to get the CLD - that's something that we can help you explore here.

First of all, thanks for everyone helping me in preparation CLAD. Next Step -- CLD

Without trying to sound harsh, I suggest you stop. For the questions that you asked here to help you get through the CLAD, you're nowhere near ready for the CLD, and you won't be until you get some real professional experience with LabVIEW. I'm not trying ot be mean, but if all you're going to do is flood LAVA with "how can you help me pass my CLD" questions then you're not ready. I suggest you have a good think about why you want to be a CLD. Are you just trying to zip through them to pad your resume so you can get a LabVIEW job? That might help you get the job, but you'll find the job difficult because you only have the theory on passing an exam, not the knowledge that comes with actually working with LabVIEW. Please do post on your motivation to get the CLD - that's something that we can help you explore here.

QUOTE (crelf @ Jan 16 2009, 01:41 PM)

Yes, indeed. It is hard to say this in a blunt and kind way so please understand I mean this to be kind and helpful, a person who does not understand data flow needs to develop some real applications, have them fall apart, and be forced to solve those problems with minimal outside help.

Can you really pass the CLAD and not understand data flow? What kind of test is it?

Mike

QUOTE (crelf @ Jan 16 2009, 01:41 PM)

Yes, indeed. It is hard to say this in a blunt and kind way so please understand I mean this to be kind and helpful, a person who does not understand data flow needs to develop some real applications, have them fall apart, and be forced to solve those problems with minimal outside help.

Can you really pass the CLAD and not understand data flow? What kind of test is it?

Mike

I am also going to take my CLD exam in a couple of weeks. I have done some large application (what i consider large anyway) development and have been programming in LV for about 6 years. I have worked through all of the examples online and have been going through the exam preparation. I very rarely ask the forum for questions but I do answer a lot of them. There are only two LV developers in my company and although I have been programming in LV for a while now I still do not know if I am at the level of programmer that I need to be to take the CLD exam. I passed the CLAD with flying colors and I have taken the Intermediate 1 and 2 course.

I my self would like more advice from people that have taken them. I know from the disclosure agreement that you cannot say much about the exam.

One thing I would like to know is, is the actual exam much harder then the examples or can we really use the examples to judge our level of expertise. What are some different areas to study other than the exam prep guide, that you all feel is useful.

thanks,

I am also going to take my CLD exam in a couple of weeks. I have done some large application (what i consider large anyway) development and have been programming in LV for about 6 years. I have worked through all of the examples online and have been going through the exam preparation. I very rarely ask the forum for questions but I do answer a lot of them. There are only two LV developers in my company and although I have been programming in LV for a while now I still do not know if I am at the level of programmer that I need to be to take the CLD exam. I passed the CLAD with flying colors and I have taken the Intermediate 1 and 2 course.

I my self would like more advice from people that have taken them. I know from the disclosure agreement that you cannot say much about the exam.

One thing I would like to know is, is the actual exam much harder then the examples or can we really use the examples to judge our level of expertise. What are some different areas to study other than the exam prep guide, that you all feel is useful.

thanks,

QUOTE (crelf @ Jan 16 2009, 03:43 PM)

Intermediate 1 and 2 are the key - If you've done and understood those, then you will be fine.

But durring the exam....

Keep in mind that this is the exam that will prove you know how to code in LV and they actually expect you to demonstrate you know how to develop in LV, so...

make sure you document what you are planning to write so that in the event you do not finish and the code does not run, the grader wil still be able to access your LV skills based on what you said you wanted to do. I hve never been dinged for spelling or grammer on any of those exams so just type as fast as you can!

Ben

QUOTE (crelf @ Jan 16 2009, 03:43 PM)

Intermediate 1 and 2 are the key - If you've done and understood those, then you will be fine.

But durring the exam....

Keep in mind that this is the exam that will prove you know how to code in LV and they actually expect you to demonstrate you know how to develop in LV, so...

make sure you document what you are planning to write so that in the event you do not finish and the code does not run, the grader wil still be able to access your LV skills based on what you said you wanted to do. I hve never been dinged for spelling or grammer on any of those exams so just type as fast as you can!

Ben

Thanks Crelf,

I went throught the courses a few years ago and have been applying what I learned in those courses eversince. My partnet in LV crime here just went through the course a couple of days ago and has the updated book and materials for 8.6. I plan on going through this material again as a refresher before I take the exam. I think I will do OK on it. I guess I just have pre-exam jitters.

Thanks again,

QUOTE (neB @ Jan 16 2009, 04:04 PM)

But durring the exam....

Ben

So another good key is to follow the style guidelines and DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT everything. Controls, indicators, block diagram, tip strips, states of the state machine. Everything right.

I will definetely keep this in mind while going through the test. I do this a lot anyway because I develope test sets for the PCB boards here and we have to make our test sets to where a "Monkey" (Pardon me if this offends the Monkey) can do it.

Like I said before, it is just probably Pre-test jitters,

Thanks,

Thanks Crelf,

I went throught the courses a few years ago and have been applying what I learned in those courses eversince. My partnet in LV crime here just went through the course a couple of days ago and has the updated book and materials for 8.6. I plan on going through this material again as a refresher before I take the exam. I think I will do OK on it. I guess I just have pre-exam jitters.

Thanks again,

QUOTE (neB @ Jan 16 2009, 04:04 PM)

But durring the exam....

Ben

So another good key is to follow the style guidelines and DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT everything. Controls, indicators, block diagram, tip strips, states of the state machine. Everything right.

I will definetely keep this in mind while going through the test. I do this a lot anyway because I develope test sets for the PCB boards here and we have to make our test sets to where a "Monkey" (Pardon me if this offends the Monkey) can do it.

Like I said before, it is just probably Pre-test jitters,

Thanks,

QUOTE (jhoskins @ Jan 16 2009, 01:13 PM)

That's right! This will be the easiest 10 points you can get. Do it as you go in case you don't have time to go back at the end. Also, do a search here for CLD and you'll find a few threads with some excellent tips. My favorite...Take a small snack and something to drink with you. 4 hours is a long time to be in high intensity mode.

Good Luck!

QUOTE (jhoskins @ Jan 16 2009, 01:13 PM)

That's right! This will be the easiest 10 points you can get. Do it as you go in case you don't have time to go back at the end. Also, do a search here for CLD and you'll find a few threads with some excellent tips. My favorite...Take a small snack and something to drink with you. 4 hours is a long time to be in high intensity mode.

Good Luck!

QUOTE (jhoskins @ Jan 16 2009, 04:13 PM)

My partnet in LV crime here just went through the course a couple of days ago and has the updated book and materials for 8.6. I plan on going through this material again as a refresher before I take the exam.

That's a great idea. Take particular note of the exercises in the book, and by that I mean actually do them - a couple of times each, if you have the time. I'm sure you'll do just fine :)