cheer! CLAD 92/100, next step CLD

QUOTE (jhoskins @ Jan 16 2009, 04:13 PM)

My partnet in LV crime here just went through the course a couple of days ago and has the updated book and materials for 8.6. I plan on going through this material again as a refresher before I take the exam.

That's a great idea. Take particular note of the exercises in the book, and by that I mean actually do them - a couple of times each, if you have the time. I'm sure you'll do just fine :)

Congrats on passing the CLAD

QUOTE (crelf @ Jan 17 2009, 05:43 AM)

Intermediate 1 and 2 are the key - If you've done and understood those, then you will be fine.

IMHO & from an 8.2 course perspective (in case it has changed), the exam structure is based solely around Intermediate 1.

Intermediate 2 (Connectivity - now & Performance) - although a great course, was not needed when I sat CLD

Unless it has changed you could save some cash by doing just Int 1?

I agree with what has been said already here:

If you are ready experience wise (logged wire time is at appropriate level) then the following will help for the exam:

Do the Int course, understand the course materials

Do the online prep course

Do the exams online &

1) Ensure you complete them with time to spare

2) Make sure the app works - all features in the spec implemented

3) Following a recommended NI layout/architect (coz they will be marking it)

4) Document everything (FP objects, SubVIs, Modules, etc..)

Goodluck

Congrats on passing the CLAD

QUOTE (crelf @ Jan 17 2009, 05:43 AM)

Intermediate 1 and 2 are the key - If you've done and understood those, then you will be fine.

IMHO & from an 8.2 course perspective (in case it has changed), the exam structure is based solely around Intermediate 1.

Intermediate 2 (Connectivity - now & Performance) - although a great course, was not needed when I sat CLD

Unless it has changed you could save some cash by doing just Int 1?

I agree with what has been said already here:

If you are ready experience wise (logged wire time is at appropriate level) then the following will help for the exam:

Do the Int course, understand the course materials

Do the online prep course

Do the exams online &

1) Ensure you complete them with time to spare

2) Make sure the app works - all features in the spec implemented

3) Following a recommended NI layout/architect (coz they will be marking it)

4) Document everything (FP objects, SubVIs, Modules, etc..)

Goodluck

QUOTE (crelf @ Jan 16 2009, 06:41 PM)

Congratulations on the CLAD.

Without trying to sound harsh, I suggest you stop. For the questions that you asked here to help you get through the CLAD, you're nowhere near ready for the CLD, and you won't be until you get some real professional experience with LabVIEW. I'm not trying ot be mean, but if all you're going to do is flood LAVA with "how can you help me pass my CLD" questions then you're not ready. I suggest you have a good think about why you want to be a CLD. Are you just trying to zip through them to pad your resume so you can get a LabVIEW job? That might help you get the job, but you'll find the job difficult because you only have the theory on passing an exam, not the knowledge that comes with actually working with LabVIEW. Please do post on your motivation to get the CLD - that's something that we can help you explore here.

why you want to be a CLD?

Here is the reason. A 28 year old man cannot finish his Ph.D. in Neural Engineering, so he only has a MS in Neural engineering to leave the lab. With his previous B.S and M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering, he thought he could find a job. However, even if car wash, food preparation, and baby sitter jobs did not reply his application. His "PhD Wife"'s friend said he should paid $5500 to NI to take the courses and using 3 months to pass all the exams (Not only CLAD and CLD, but also CLA), but he can't afford more than $500. He doesn't want to others to keep looking down him (This was what happen in his PhD lab), so he study himself and want to get the exam pass. One of the reason is to help him having a better resume. The other reason is to help him have a better life in front of his wife's friend

QUOTE (mross @ Jan 16 2009, 07:24 PM)

Yes, indeed. It is hard to say this in a blunt and kind way so please understand I mean this to be kind and helpful, a person who does not understand data flow needs to develop some real applications, have them fall apart, and be forced to solve those problems with minimal outside help.

Can you really pass the CLAD and not understand data flow? What kind of test is it?

Mike

Well, I understand data flow. However, I asked what is data flow in the forum yesterday

Here is the reason. In the Labview presentation, the name sounds like " know labview in 6 hrs", it mentioned that communication between loop using wire is not possible. (I am not a native speaker.) What is communication mean here?? If first loop finish and pass the data to the 2nd loop, I consider that is communication! I think at that point maybe I miss the term "parallel running".

When you guy answers my question yesterday using the term "data flow", I was trying to confirm what I understand is correct only. (Just like if people ask you the difference between "See" and "Watch", You can use those verb correctly, but you might not know how to explain. So, listen other people explanation is another way to learn)

QUOTE (crelf @ Jan 16 2009, 06:41 PM)

Congratulations on the CLAD.

Without trying to sound harsh, I suggest you stop. For the questions that you asked here to help you get through the CLAD, you're nowhere near ready for the CLD, and you won't be until you get some real professional experience with LabVIEW. I'm not trying ot be mean, but if all you're going to do is flood LAVA with "how can you help me pass my CLD" questions then you're not ready. I suggest you have a good think about why you want to be a CLD. Are you just trying to zip through them to pad your resume so you can get a LabVIEW job? That might help you get the job, but you'll find the job difficult because you only have the theory on passing an exam, not the knowledge that comes with actually working with LabVIEW. Please do post on your motivation to get the CLD - that's something that we can help you explore here.

why you want to be a CLD?

Here is the reason. A 28 year old man cannot finish his Ph.D. in Neural Engineering, so he only has a MS in Neural engineering to leave the lab. With his previous B.S and M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering, he thought he could find a job. However, even if car wash, food preparation, and baby sitter jobs did not reply his application. His "PhD Wife"'s friend said he should paid $5500 to NI to take the courses and using 3 months to pass all the exams (Not only CLAD and CLD, but also CLA), but he can't afford more than $500. He doesn't want to others to keep looking down him (This was what happen in his PhD lab), so he study himself and want to get the exam pass. One of the reason is to help him having a better resume. The other reason is to help him have a better life in front of his wife's friend

QUOTE (mross @ Jan 16 2009, 07:24 PM)

Yes, indeed. It is hard to say this in a blunt and kind way so please understand I mean this to be kind and helpful, a person who does not understand data flow needs to develop some real applications, have them fall apart, and be forced to solve those problems with minimal outside help.

Can you really pass the CLAD and not understand data flow? What kind of test is it?

Mike

Well, I understand data flow. However, I asked what is data flow in the forum yesterday

Here is the reason. In the Labview presentation, the name sounds like " know labview in 6 hrs", it mentioned that communication between loop using wire is not possible. (I am not a native speaker.) What is communication mean here?? If first loop finish and pass the data to the 2nd loop, I consider that is communication! I think at that point maybe I miss the term "parallel running".

When you guy answers my question yesterday using the term "data flow", I was trying to confirm what I understand is correct only. (Just like if people ask you the difference between "See" and "Watch", You can use those verb correctly, but you might not know how to explain. So, listen other people explanation is another way to learn)

QUOTE (zmarcoz @ Jan 17 2009, 12:24 AM)

(I am not a native speaker.)

That is a good answer. But you didn't reply with a definition for data flow so I think I was OK assuming you to be a low level novice user who did not understand the distinction.

Of course you can communicate between loops. But more likely the person who said "not by data flow" meant communication between two running loops. One loop stop and the data is communicated to another loop waiting to start - data flow. Two concurrently running loops can not communicate by means of input and output terminals.

In this case writing to or reading from a functional global is a good way to communicate between running loops. But data flow is still the means by which the program is sequenced.

Within the running loops all the nodes will run when they get their inputs and will finish only after all their output terminals are filled. Within each loop a functional global can be written to and called for data - according to data flow - and the information passed and received.

Mike

(I am not a native speaker.)

That is a good answer. But you didn't reply with a definition for data flow so I think I was OK assuming you to be a low level novice user who did not understand the distinction.

Of course you can communicate between loops. But more likely the person who said "not by data flow" meant communication between two running loops. One loop stop and the data is communicated to another loop waiting to start - data flow. Two concurrently running loops can not communicate by means of input and output terminals.

In this case writing to or reading from a functional global is a good way to communicate between running loops. But data flow is still the means by which the program is sequenced.

Within the running loops all the nodes will run when they get their inputs and will finish only after all their output terminals are filled. Within each loop a functional global can be written to and called for data - according to data flow - and the information passed and received.

Mike

NI says that a CLD:

• Demonstrates experience in developing, debugging, and deploying medium to large LabVIEW applications
  • Possesses experience of 12 to 18 months developing medium to large applications in LabVIEW

Passing the CLD exam doesn't prove that you fit this description, but it sure does make people think that. It's a bit of misrepresentation to present yourself as a CLD without having the ability to back it up.

I passed the CLD exam with less than one year of experience. When I left my first LabVIEW position, my new employer knew only that I was a CLD (and that I interview well enough) and hired me. The pressure to produce at the level they expect is high; I've worked a lot of hours and still look back and shake my head at some of the programs I've written! I expect to always keep learning, but at some point my basic approach has improved and my code is cleaner. I think that this is what is expected of a CLD.

I've toyed with the idea of sitting for the CLA exam. I doubt that I'd pass it the first time, but I'd sure learn the test. I'm good at passing tests and would probably pass the second time, but then I'd be misrepresenting myself. A CLA:

• Demonstrates mastery in architecting LabVIEW applications for a multi-developer environment

• Demonstrates technical expertise and software development experience to architect LabVIEW components

• Manages projects by effectively utilizing project and configuration management tools

• Possesses experience of approximately 24 months in developing medium to large LabVIEW applications

Good luck with your career, but know that a LabVIEW job interview might contain a test! This has been discussed on this forum here, and other places.

EDIT - Oh, yeah. I've begun working with the OpenG project in an effort to learn more of the "architect" and team-oriented development stuff that is expected of a CLA. I expect this will be a mutually beneficial relationship in that I'll grow as a developer and, in exchange, I'll work on Open Source software that many of us use. Talk about a win-win situation! I've also thought of working on something for the Code Repository (may still do that). These are options for you, too, to help you gain the experience you need to go along with certification you want.

NI says that a CLD:

• Demonstrates experience in developing, debugging, and deploying medium to large LabVIEW applications
  • Possesses experience of 12 to 18 months developing medium to large applications in LabVIEW

Passing the CLD exam doesn't prove that you fit this description, but it sure does make people think that. It's a bit of misrepresentation to present yourself as a CLD without having the ability to back it up.

I passed the CLD exam with less than one year of experience. When I left my first LabVIEW position, my new employer knew only that I was a CLD (and that I interview well enough) and hired me. The pressure to produce at the level they expect is high; I've worked a lot of hours and still look back and shake my head at some of the programs I've written! I expect to always keep learning, but at some point my basic approach has improved and my code is cleaner. I think that this is what is expected of a CLD.

I've toyed with the idea of sitting for the CLA exam. I doubt that I'd pass it the first time, but I'd sure learn the test. I'm good at passing tests and would probably pass the second time, but then I'd be misrepresenting myself. A CLA:

• Demonstrates mastery in architecting LabVIEW applications for a multi-developer environment

• Demonstrates technical expertise and software development experience to architect LabVIEW components

• Manages projects by effectively utilizing project and configuration management tools

• Possesses experience of approximately 24 months in developing medium to large LabVIEW applications

Good luck with your career, but know that a LabVIEW job interview might contain a test! This has been discussed on this forum here, and other places.

EDIT - Oh, yeah. I've begun working with the OpenG project in an effort to learn more of the "architect" and team-oriented development stuff that is expected of a CLA. I expect this will be a mutually beneficial relationship in that I'll grow as a developer and, in exchange, I'll work on Open Source software that many of us use. Talk about a win-win situation! I've also thought of working on something for the Code Repository (may still do that). These are options for you, too, to help you gain the experience you need to go along with certification you want.

What a sad story. I'm sure I don't appreciate your situation fully, but good luck.

QUOTE (jcarmody @ Jan 17 2009, 10:00 AM)

I've worked a lot of hours and still look back and shake my head at some of the programs I've written!

I think we all have days like that :D

CLA

exam. I doubt that I'd pass it the first time, but I'd sure learn the test.

Hint: Do the Advanced course - do the exercises ;)

I've begun working with the OpenG project in an effort to learn more of the "architect" and team-oriented development stuff that is expected of a CLA. I expect this will be a mutually beneficial relationship in that I'll grow as a developer and, in exchange, I'll work on Open Source software that many of us use. Talk about a win-win situation!

Damn right! OpenG can always do with more passionate process-orientated engineers. "mutually beneficial" is absolutely true - we can't survive as a community without giving something back, and participation in the open source community is a big part of that. I know I've leaned a lot from being involved.

What a sad story. I'm sure I don't appreciate your situation fully, but good luck.

I've worked a lot of hours and still look back and shake my head at some of the programs I've written!

I think we all have days like that :D

CLA

exam. I doubt that I'd pass it the first time, but I'd sure learn the test.

Hint: Do the Advanced course - do the exercises ;)

I've begun working with the OpenG project in an effort to learn more of the "architect" and team-oriented development stuff that is expected of a CLA. I expect this will be a mutually beneficial relationship in that I'll grow as a developer and, in exchange, I'll work on Open Source software that many of us use. Talk about a win-win situation!

Damn right! OpenG can always do with more passionate process-orientated engineers. "mutually beneficial" is absolutely true - we can't survive as a community without giving something back, and participation in the open source community is a big part of that. I know I've leaned a lot from being involved.