Anyone care to critique my security system?

Impressive and advanced solution with reentrant VIs. (points for that).

Easy comment:

No documentation on the BD of the GUI VI. (esp. in the event structure)

No on-line help on the led-status of the GUI VI.

Intermediate comment:

Mix-up of system and labview GUI elements (BD color is dialog the rest is native LabVIEW)

Advanced critique:

I would use a VI-reference to load the reentrant VIs:

post-2399-1232391882.png?width=400

(As you can see the BD of this VI has no documentation.)

Use the auto-clean up tool for simple VIs, your reentrant loader had a lot of white space, auto-cleanup eases things out.

Good-luck,

with such a solution you have to pass.

Ton

QUOTE (Ton @ Jan 19 2009, 12:08 PM)

I just ran out of time! So that is exactly what I would have had to submit and I guess I would have been dinged :thumbdown:

Intermediate comment:

Mix-up of system and labview GUI elements (BD color is dialog the rest is native LabVIEW)

I often make the User Interface VIs the dialog color (even though they may not be dialogs) because

1) It looks more "native" to windows

2) And it helps me immediately identify the FPs the end users will see

Is this considered poor style by the LV community?

I like that - it does seem cleaner - I'll have to remember this

post-2399-1232391882.png?width=400

(As you can see the BD of this VI has no documentation.)

Use the auto-clean up tool for simple VIs, your reentrant loader had a lot of white space, auto-cleanup eases things out.

Good-luck,

with such a solution you have to pass.

Ton

Thanks for the feedback - I've been doing LabVIEW a long time but one can never do too much prep for an exam.

Mark

How long did this take you? My advice is keep it simple and get it done. Clean code with good documentation. Clever will waste your time and leave you with an incomplete project that isn't fully documented.

One quick comment, the "Standard State Machine.vi" has a three deep case structure in the "Update" case. Use the "select" function in the comparison palellete for a cleaner and more readable vi.

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ Jan 19 2009, 03:06 PM)

Thanks for the observation - that's the stuff I need to hear

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

QUOTE (mesmith @ Feb 5 2009, 03:50 PM)

I passed my CLD :D

Lucky for me, Michael didn't get to grade my exam ;) - or maybe his advice kept me from making silly mistakes!

Thanks to all for the feedback and help - LAVA is a great community.

Mark

Congrats! I took my exam at the end of last year and was notified last month that I passed. Now onto the CLA exam.

QUOTE (Michael Aivaliotis @ Feb 5 2009, 06:37 PM)

Thanks for the shout-out, Mike. And congrats on passing the CLD, Mark! I plan on posting an article on my blog soon about preparing for the CLA...stay tuned!

-D

QUOTE (jcarmody @ Jan 19 2009, 09:39 PM)

Could you please teach me how to label the wires? I cannot find this function in LabVIEW; and I always do the system label only. Thanks

QUOTE (jcarmody @ Feb 6 2009, 07:08 PM)

I see! thanks! I misunderstood what system label was. I thought system label was using edit text function to put text on the block diagram. Now I understand that there is a system label function to label the wires. thanks again :P

I mostly find labelling wires to be confusing and difficult to work with. They don't really show any information that is not already there in most cases, unless you have really long wires. They are free labels, meaning the automatic wiring tools will route wires around them. All in all, I have stopped using them entirely.

An alternative method is to use the "Description and tip..." when rightklicking on the wire. Open the online help, Ctrl-h, and now you see the "label" or description when your mouse is hoovering above the wire. An added bonus is that wire branches will also have the same description. This is a much better solution IMO.