Deploy 8.2.1 real-time executable on 8.20 chassis

Hi,

I have a customer that has software deployed on the field on a device that has a Compact Field Point and a PXI realtime chassis. Currently the software was build using LabVIEW 8.20. I am planning to send them an executable made with LabVIEW 8.2.1 and I am wondering if this can be done seamlessly (without having the user update the RT engine)? Basically can an exe made with LV 8.2.1 run on a 8.20 real-time device?

Thanks

PJM

Yes. 8.2.1 has exactly the same binary compatibility for the runtime engine as 8.2.0. Test your app first because there were runtime behaviors that were fixed, and if your app happens to need one of those fixes, you could have issues. But those are very rare and in all likelihood your app will work just fine with the 8.2.0 engine.

For the record, the same is true of 8.5.1 with regard to 8.5.0.

QUOTE (Aristos Queue @ Jan 22 2009, 11:06 AM)

QUOTE (Ton @ Jan 22 2009, 12:39 PM)

I only remember TDMS incompatibilities between the RTE's of 8.20 and 8.2.1.

Ton

Thanks for the info, this is a relief.

Unfortunately the system is away in the field and the customer does not have real time spare chassis to test on.

The software does not use TDMS.

The only "fancy" thing used in this setup are share variables. Everything else is pretty standard LV.

Thanks again.

PJM