controlling stepper motor through PM341 controller via GPIB cable

jim85

QUOTE (AnalogKid2DigitalMan @ Jan 28 2009, 06:51 PM)

Have you read the manual of the 341? If you did you would have realized that you cannot use GPIB.

Yes, I read through the PM 341 handbook already. But I don’t understand, why you are saying that I cannot use GPIB to control the stepper motor?

Could you please explain for me?

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

Regards

Jim

QUOTE (jim85 @ Jan 29 2009, 06:46 AM)

Yes, I read through the PM 341 handbook already. But I don’t understand, why you are saying that I cannot use GPIB to control the stepper motor?

Could you please explain for me?

Hi Jim,

GPIB is a communication bus, so the PM341 would need to have a IEEE488 connector and be able to interpret the syntax.

From the manual, PM341 uses RS-232 communication protocol. Now, while some instruments have the same command structure for GPIB and RS-232, this one doesn't. (Page 20 of the manual)

QUOTE (normandinf @ Jan 29 2009, 01:44 PM)

Hi Jim,

GPIB is a communication bus, so the PM341 would need to have a IEEE488 connector and be able to interpret the syntax.

From the manual, PM341 uses RS-232 communication protocol. Now, while some instruments have the same command structure for GPIB and RS-232, this one doesn't. (Page 20 of the manual)

Hi,

Thanks for your kind reply.

Actually I want to communicate with 2 device at the same time. With the PM341 through the RS232 cable and HP 8350B sweep oscillator through the GPIB cable connection. I have designed a very simple VI to communicate with this oscillator, but unfortunately my VI showed some error message called "error 30 occurred at GPIB initialization".

And it says possible reasons: LabView: Bad print records

NI-488:No GPIB address input.

I do not know how to sort out this problem. I'll attach my VI with this mail. Can you help me with this?

Regards

Jim

QUOTE (normandinf @ Feb 4 2009, 01:30 PM)

Hi,

Now I have updated my Labview version to 8.6. Thanks for you help.

And I have a another doubt. I'm trying to get marker reading from the Agilent 8720ES s-parameter network analyzer. I want to get serval reading to draw a graph through my vi. When i asked the analyser to send 2 data or 2 marker reading, i can able to read only the last value from my vi. I want serval reading to draw the graph.

How I can improve it take many readings? i have attached my vi with this mail.

Again, thanks for your help.

Regards

Jim

QUOTE (normandinf @ Feb 11 2009, 06:05 PM)

Hi Jim,

you can download the driver from NI's site.

Your problem is likely a configuration issue. I have no personal experience with this equipment.

good luck.

PS: May I suggest you start a new thread if you want help with programming for a network analyzer?

Hi,

Thank you very much for your kind help. I have solved that problem with the drivers, you have send me.

Then I have a another problem with storing the data and retrive. As you said I have started a new thread and attached the link for you. If you have some idea about this, please let me know.

http://forums.lavag.org/Draw-a-graph-from-...lts-t13241.html

Regards

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

hi i know this might be a little outdated, im using labview 7.0 for a project to be able to change the GPIB address in a spectrum analyser using labview, could somebody help me with this?

regards,

dallas

QUOTE (dallas @ Feb 25 2009, 10:19 AM)

hi i know this might be a little outdated, im using labview 7.0 for a project to be able to change the GPIB address in a spectrum analyser using labview, could somebody help me with this?

regards,

dallas

i know it may seem a little easy but i am only new at this so any help would be very much appreciated.

QUOTE (dallas @ Feb 25 2009, 02:33 AM)

As far as I remember you can't change the GPIB address programmatically. You have to do it from the front panel of the instrument. Why would you want to change it programmatically? Once set, just send commands to that address.

You can do a *IDN? query and then based on the response from all the instruments, you can figure out what instrument is at what address.

Neville.