Can't bring up painting tool while on a control

Prior to LV 8.6 I used to be able to <SHIFT><RIGHT CLICK> while the cursor was over a control or indicator and it would bring up the tool selector window. Now it only works if the cursor is not over a control or indicator. It does the same thing as a <RIGHT CLICK> while the cursor was over a control or indicator. Is it just me or did this change in 8.6? Is there another key combo to get directly to the paint tool?

George

Your are right, and it's sooo annoying.

I've talk to a NI guy about this and he recommended to use the auto tool selection.

But I haven't become of friend of that yet.

This is especially bad when my front panel is covered by a tab control, then I can't find an "empty" front panel place to do my shift-right click combination.

This is something that really bugs me. :headbang:

Do anybody know if there is a tweak to fix this?

Cheers,

Mikael

QUOTE (MikaelH @ Feb 4 2009, 04:13 PM)

Your are right, and it's sooo annoying.

I've talk to a NI guy about this and he recommended to use the auto tool selection.

But I haven't become of friend of that yet.

This is especially bad when my front panel is covered by a tab control, then I can't find an "empty" front panel place to do my shift-right click combination.

This is something that really bugs me. :headbang:

Do anybody know if there is a tweak to fix this?

Cheers,

Mikael

I haven't found a way to switch to the paint or dropper tool when using auto tool selection. Has anyone?

Also I tend to use the OpenG tool Fit VI Window to Largest Decoration, and then I will put down a Recessed Box decoration over the entire window, so that it will resize to that at run time. When developing there is no place to Shift + Right Click in the window, I tend to have to scroll up, to a place where there is no decoration, then Shift + Right Click, then scroll down. Really annoying, hope they fix this is the next version of LabVIEW.

BTW I don't like the auto tool either, the person who first showed me LabVIEW told me to use Tab to switch tools so that's how I learned it.

QUOTE (hooovahh @ Feb 9 2009, 09:48 AM)

BTW I don't like the auto tool either, the person who first showed me LabVIEW told me to use Tab to switch tools so that's how I learned it.

If you force yourself to use it for 3 weeks, then you'll never want to live without it. I don't care if you do or not, but I'm telling you - I couldn't live without it.

QUOTE (crelf @ Feb 9 2009, 04:38 PM)

If you force yourself to use it for 3 weeks, then you'll never want to live without it. I don't care if you do or not, but I'm telling you - I couldn't live without it.

I was allergic to the auto tool in the beginning, but after using it for a while, it has become second nature. I miss it when it's not turned on.....

One of those "just try it" things.

Shane.

QUOTE (hooovahh @ Feb 9 2009, 06:48 AM)

Also I tend to use the OpenG tool Fit VI Window to Largest Decoration, and then I will put down a Recessed Box decoration over the entire window, so that it will resize to that at run time. When developing there is no place to Shift + Right Click in the window...

If you use something like a recessed frame instead of the recessed box, you will still have access to open real estate on your front panel. You can set the "border spacing" input on the OpenG VI to a -2 or -3 so that the actual decoration will be hidden just off screen at runtime.

-Toby

QUOTE (TobyD @ Feb 9 2009, 12:04 PM)

If you use something like a recessed frame instead of the recessed box, you will still have access to open real estate on your front panel. You can set the "border spacing" input on the OpenG VI to a -2 or -3 so that the actual decoration will be hidden just off screen at runtime.

That's a great tip thanks.