Feature Request: User.lib exclusions from SCC

The LabVIEW options dialog box has options to exclude vi.lib and instr.lib from Source Code Control add actions.

I have been requesting to extend this to user.lib as well for ages.

I even filed a bug report once :shifty: .

Do we need this feature?

I am in need of this feature because I like the option to include all dependencies when adding a single file to SCC, however it also tries to add all the user.lib (which shouldn't be in SCC IMHO), this can't be added since it is outside the SCC scope and results in error messages.

Is it that much work to extent this feature (or even make an option to exclude a whole custom folder).

Ton

QUOTE (Ton @ Feb 12 2009, 01:06 PM)

(which shouldn't be in SCC IMHO),

I disagree, I think user.lib contents should be under SCC or some other approapriate alternative. However, since these VIs are, presumably, used in multiple projects I wouldn't want to maintain multiple repositories.

In any event, I think the biggest problem with integrating SCC with the LabVIEW is that the repository path is tied to the LabVIEW.ini file and not the *.lvproj file. This is why I don't use the feature... Now that I know how to create and custom preference files I may start playing with this again.

QUOTE (Dan DeFriese @ Feb 12 2009, 04:30 PM)

I disagree, I think user.lib contents should be under SCC or some other approapriate alternative. However, since these VIs are, presumably, used in multiple projects I wouldn't want to maintain multiple repositories.

In any event, I think the biggest problem with integrating SCC with the LabVIEW is that the repository path is tied to the LabVIEW.ini file and not the *.lvproj file. This is why I don't use the feature... Now that I know how to create and custom preference files I may start playing with this again.

As of LabVIEW 8.5, you can configure source control project settings at a LabVIEW project level. You still need to enable source control for the environment though.

• 1 month later...

QUOTE (gmart @ Feb 12 2009, 05:53 PM)

As of LabVIEW 8.5, you can configure source control project settings at a LabVIEW project level. You still need to enable source control for the environment though.

Not always. I'm using MKS Source Integrity. The LabVIEW integration is via the MSC IDE "method" whatever that means. Suffice to say, LabVIEW won't let me do per-project source control settings. I have to change it globally in the options. 'Tis a pain.

I dislike using user.lib at all, pretty much for all of the above reasons. I usually use an export of a needed library to a folder within the project that needs it. So yeah, my libraries are duplicated all over the place. It does make for some tricky check-ins sometimes...(compiled changes to library VIs using conditional disabled structures, most notably). It does suck not having all those things in a menu though :(