The Ultimate Paper Chase

Tom Bress

Hello! I've been away from the forums for some time now but now I'm back. I've been making the final push on my doctorate and I'm finally done! I defended my thesis on Monday and the committee passed me. I'm walking around in a state of shock. I've been working on this for a long time while holding down a full time job as support engineer/lab manager here at the University of Michigan and it is hard to believe that it is finally done. If anyone wants to know about how to use particle image velocimetry to measure the velocity vector fields of polymer melts during injection molding, I'm your man.

This also means that I'll be starting a job hunt in the next month or so. I'll post something in the Jobs forum when I'm ready to start the hunt, but if anyone out there is interested in a mechanical engineering PhD/CLA/CPI/PE then PM me. But for now, I'm going to concentrate on catching up on all the sleep I've lost this past month or so.

QUOTE (Tom Bress @ Feb 18 2009, 03:15 PM)

Hello! I've been away from the forums for some time now but now I'm back. I've been making the final push on my doctorate and I'm finally done! I defended my thesis on Monday and the committee passed me. I'm walking around in a state of shock. I've been working on this for a long time while holding down a full time job as support engineer/lab manager here at the University of Michigan and it is hard to believe that it is finally done. If anyone wants to know about how to use particle image velocimetry to measure the velocity vector fields of polymer melts during injection molding, I'm your man.

This also means that I'll be starting a job hunt in the next month or so. I'll post something in the Jobs forum when I'm ready to start the hunt, but if anyone out there is interested in a mechanical engineering PhD/CLA/CPI/PE then PM me. But for now, I'm going to concentrate on catching up on all the sleep I've lost this past month or so.

Congratulations!

Try GE Plastics - The sell the plastic used in DVDs and consult with their customers on how to achieve the molds they need.

Technicolor - (maybe bd memory) They make a lot of DVDs (talk about quality control, when your final check involves an AFM!)

Ben

QUOTE (crelf @ Feb 18 2009, 03:39 PM)

:thumbup: Wow! That's *fantastic* - well done mate! I can imagine that you're going to feel a little empty for a while. Try to fill that void with sleep and LabVIEW :)

That's just what I intend to do. Well, maybe I'll fill the void with sleep, LabVIEW and some single-malt scotch! Actually, I don't want to pursue a career in plastics. I've had much more fun with my day job doing LabVIEW-related stuff. Currently I'm playing with the Wiimote vis available on the NI website. We give the senior mechanical engineering students an open-ended project involving accelerometers, this term I'm going to outfit our PCs with Bluetooth dongles and throw some Wiimotes in the mix. It will be interesting to see what the students do with them. I'll write some black-box sub-vis encapsulating the Wiimote-specific code and make the Wiimote accelerometer traces accessible as outputs. Then we'll let the students do some LabVIEW coding on their own and see what they come up with.

QUOTE (ASTDan @ Feb 18 2009, 04:11 PM)

Wow Tom that is fantastic!! Congratulations!

"announcer" Hey Tom now that your a PhD, what are you going to do now?

"you" I'm going to the SEMLUG meeting!!!

<scene with parade and balloons> :D

I'll be there! I may be late, but I'll be there!