Executable comes up with broken arrow on virtual PC

I've built an executable that installs and run fine on a normal PC running Windows XP. But I have a user that installed it on a virtual PC (never actually heard of that before) and it comes up with a broken run arrow. The error says the VI is not executable and that the full development system is needed to run the VI. I checked and it looks like all the components are installed (run time engine, etc.). Any ideas what could be going on?

George

QUOTE (george seifert @ Feb 19 2009, 08:34 AM)

I've built an executable that installs and run fine on a normal PC running Windows XP. But I have a user that installed it on a virtual PC (never actually heard of that before) and it comes up with a broken run arrow. The error says the VI is not executable and that the full development system is needed to run the VI. I checked and it looks like all the components are installed (run time engine, etc.). Any ideas what could be going on?

George

You used an installer to install it on the Virtual PC? Does it post a dialog saying anything is missing? Do you have any specialized calls (such as .NET) that are not installed on the Virtual PC?

Bruce

QUOTE (bmoyer @ Feb 19 2009, 09:58 AM)

You used an installer to install it on the Virtual PC? Does it post a dialog saying anything is missing? Do you have any specialized calls (such as .NET) that are not installed on the Virtual PC?

Bruce

Yes, I used an installer to install it just as I would on any other PC. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but how else would I have done it? Like I said, I don't know anything about virtual PCs. I'm just trying to give my executable to the guy so he can use it. There are no .NET calls. The only calls are to DAQmx which appears to have be installed properly. This exactly what the prompt says when I start the executable:

The VI is not executable. The full development version of LabVIEW is required to fix the errors.

Actually those words are written twice in the prompt.

Like I mentioned, I've installed the executable on other normal PCs and it works fine.

George

QUOTE (george seifert @ Feb 19 2009, 11:07 AM)

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but how else would I have done it?

Sorry, wasn't trying to insult your intelligence. Wasn't sure if you or your user was installing it. Sometimes users think they can install an application by just copying the exe.

I don't use VirtualPC much anymore (I've switched to the free Sun VirtualBox because it wasn't free for the Mac and VirtualBox is also available for Ubuntu, RedHat, etc.) because I have both Mac and PCs operating but I have tested Installers on VirtualBox to see if they're any problems when installing to a "clean" PC on Windows.

My apps didn't have DAQmx but they did have hardware drivers (such as Vision Acquisition Software (VAS/IMAQ)) and they worked fine, as long I had IMAQ installed on the VirtualBox (of course I got an error when trying to use hardware that didn't virtually exist). If I didn't have VAS installed my executable broke (like you described).

Not sure if this helps at all, but these problems are usually easy to fix but difficult to find.

Bruce

QUOTE (george seifert @ Feb 19 2009, 01:26 PM)

It's fixed. Installing NI-DAQmx 8.8 solved it. Which is weird because the installer installed MAX and NI-DAQmx. The installer did a minimal install though so maybe the full install provided something else.

George

That was my guess too when you said that you were using DAQmx, that the driver wasn't installed properly. Well its good that the problem has been resolved (although not fully understood).

Bruce

QUOTE (george seifert @ Feb 19 2009, 11:07 AM)

The only calls are to DAQmx which appears to have be installed properly. This exactly what the prompt says when I start the executable:

DAQmx on VirtualPC??? VirtualPC is simply a virtual machine from Microsoft much like VmWare. I can't really believe that VirtualPC does virtualize the PC Hardware to the point that DAQmx can really work on there.

Well, it seems it does work :D , which is quite amazing if you ask me.

You say DAQmx has been installed and seems to work. How did your customer check that? Can he go into Measurement & Automation Explorere inside the VM and see the boards installed and also execute the Test Panels for them?

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (rolfk @ Feb 20 2009, 01:10 AM)

DAQmx on VirtualPC??? VirtualPC is simply a virtual machine from Microsoft much like VmWare. I can't really believe that VirtualPC does virtualize the PC Hardware to the point that DAQmx can really work on there.

Well, it seems it does work :D , which is quite amazing if you ask me.

Rolf Kalbermatter

I would imagine you can probably get the USB-DAQ devices to work since most virtual environments support USB functionality. Even if the DAQ devices are not USB you can probably still get the simulated devices to work.

I agree that the error dialog should be improved. When I had an IMAQ error with my app (because IMAQ wasn't installed) at least it showed a dialog with 100 or so VIs that it couldn't find that were needed for the exe to work.

Bruce

QUOTE (bmoyer @ Feb 20 2009, 08:02 AM)

I agree that the error dialog should be improved. When I had an IMAQ error with my app (because IMAQ wasn't installed) at least it showed a dialog with 100 or so VIs that it couldn't find that were needed for the exe to work.

Well the VIs are there in the executable embedded. But they are all broken because they try to load the NI Vision DLL and that gets only installed by the NI Vision runtime (or the Development Module but that is here not of interest).

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (jgcode @ Feb 23 2009, 11:26 AM)

I madehttp://forums.lavag.org/DAQmx-Error-50150-VMWare-t11624.html' target="_blank"> this post a while back and did not have success running DAQmx.

I have not tried the new VMWare 2.0 with DAQmx yet.

Good to hear people have it working.

VirtualPC is not good as it does not have USB support last time I used it.

Anyone else out there tried using VMWare with DAQmx?

I've had great success with VirtualBox as long as the host isn't a windows machine. USB Passthrough is pretty flaky for a Windows host, but works great on Mac! I have a series of VMs (NI Licensing issued aside) with LV versions installed for different customers and I bring them with me on an external 2.5" HDD.

I debugged and re-wrote a USB RAW driver for a spectrometer on Windows running as a guest on Macintosh. Worked flawlessly. I tried with Linux briefly (as host) and that worked too.

I don't know about PCI (or PCI-E) passthrough, I don't think there is much going on in that direction but if you're using USB, Virtualbox should get you up and running.

Shane.